Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Partner claiming half my house proceeds

(7 Posts)
Cee123 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:48:11

I solely owned my house. My partner lived with me for 7 years. When needing new windows, I signed the contract and because my partner was a man, the company assumed he was my husband so asked him to sign too. I didn't think at the time. I'm scared he will get copied from the firm to try to help prove his claim through the courts. Can I insist the window company sends me back all paperwork relating to this work so he can't get copies? This is potentially so important so any legal thoughts would help significantly to protect my proceeds.

AndShesGone Mon 20-Feb-17 21:00:11

He wasn't and hasn't ever been your husband ?

Then it's really unlikely he's got a 'beneficial interest' in your property, not impossible though.

Did he contribute to life together ?

Bailey101 Mon 20-Feb-17 21:33:54

If he can prove he paid towards the mortgage and home improvements, then he may have a claim for some of the equity.

What was your arrangement when he lives with you? Did he pay half of everything (including the mortgage) or did he just contribute a small amount to bills?

Cee123 Tue 21-Feb-17 16:55:19

No, we never married. I was divorcing and transferred the joint mortgage into my sole name when we first met, and he moved in very shortly after. He had a house he was doing up with his ex- partner, which remained in their joint names, and which he paid all the bills and mortgage and 'doing up' costs. They sold this two years after we started living together. I also recently found out he had a second home which he also sold two years later too which I never knew about.
We had a joint bank account and he dealt with the finances. Again, omnly recently have I had time to go through all the statements, but it seems he put x amount into the joint, then immediately took out £1000 and £500 on the same day each month, presumably to pay for his other 2 mortgages, and also continued to take out amounts and put back amounts throughout each month. Totals are £100,000 that he took out of the joint into his own sole personal accounts over the time we were together. He didn't use the joint savings account. I didn't know he was doing this and although I was also doing up my old house, I presumed all repairs were being paid from the joint account. It seems he paid for the new windows out of his sole account (maybe £1000 total) to give him 'proof' and a claim in my house. Complicated!
That is why I need to know what right I have to insist the window company returns all contracts and paperwork to me- a couple of the contracts we both signed and one I alone signed.
Because he was illegally taking money from the joint to, in effect, pay for other properties, could I not claim likewise? Not that I would, I just want him to back off.

prh47bridge Tue 21-Feb-17 18:35:46

No you do not have that right. Indeed, even if you request it the company cannot comply. They are required to keep records for their current financial year and the previous 6 financial years. It sounds like your contract almost certainly fell within that period so they have to keep a copy.

Even if he did pay for the windows that does not necessarily entitle him to half of the house. Get proper legal advice. And don't try stunts like the one you are suggesting here to cover up inconvenient facts. If it emerges in court it won't look good for you and could lead to him being given the benefit of any doubt.

measles64 Tue 21-Feb-17 18:38:48

I can see why my friend takes rent from her partner every month now.

Hereward1332 Wed 22-Feb-17 12:49:00

It would not be illegal for him to pay from the joint account for his other properties - it's his money too.

It may suggest that you have a claim to them as well though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now