Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Help needed with elderly relative please.

(4 Posts)
Toooldtobearsed Sat 18-Feb-17 11:48:21

Original post in chat :

To be brief:

82 year old lived with partner for 40 years, never married.
She helped run hus business in the early days and has been his carer in recent years - he has dementia.

She has only her state pension. He had 3 pensions. 2 private plus state.

He has been transferring half of his state pension to her and she has been using that plus her own pension to feed them both and pay all bills, gas, electric, phone etc.

The house was owned outright before she moved in.

His daughter has taken over his financial affairs and has stopped all transfer of money, leaving elderly relative to pay for everything out of her own pension. This was unsustainable and matters cane to a head earlier this week when she was also emotionally abused by both partner and daughter.

She left, after 40 years with 2 suitcases, a carrier bag and a few pounds in her purse.

I will obviously be taking advice regarding benefits she nay be entitled to, but in the meantime, can anyone tell me;

1. She bought, paid for and ran her own car. However, it was registered in her partners name. Does she have any claim on this?

2. I assume she has absolutely no right to any support from him, or any financial help at all? I think not, as they were not married, but wondered if there was anything at all?

3. She bought things from her own savings for the house - fridge etc., if we manage to find somewhere for her to live, can she retrieve these things?

It will al be very difficult. I imagine her ex partner and daughter will deny her access, but would like to be armed with some facts.

Thank you for reading this far!

Creampastry Sun 19-Feb-17 08:14:59

She needs to see a solicitor.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 19-Feb-17 09:13:53

There was a very recent case where an unmarried woman won the right to her partner's pension. Sorry I don't have time to read the full article but it might help.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 21-Feb-17 19:08:29

She can still be the owner of the car even if he is on the V5 (log book) as registered keeper. Check with DVLA about how she gets it transferred back into her name.

If he had died she would have had a claim if there was no will as she was being "maintained" (ie. the transfer of pension). I don't know whether there is provision to claim this somehow in this situation.

I would suggest asking to see a solicitor under free hour's advice scheme or CAB.

How awful for her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: