Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Has anyone ever challenged a will?

(7 Posts)
PurpleParakeet Wed 15-Feb-17 12:29:07

I won't give details for obvious reasons but I have been told this is an option. Any experience of this? Anyone regret doing it?

toomuchfaster Wed 15-Feb-17 12:42:20

Your own? Just go to a solicitor, done!

PurpleParakeet Wed 15-Feb-17 12:52:27

No - someone who has died.

ConfusedCod Wed 15-Feb-17 12:53:48

I don't think you can go that or what would be the point in making one?

PurpleParakeet Wed 15-Feb-17 12:58:29

Well, if for example the person who made the will was badly advised.

Before anyone delivers a lecture on grabbiness it isn't about who benefits. No-one has been cut out or disinherited.

Fourmagpies Wed 15-Feb-17 13:24:15

Yes you can challenge a will. I would recommend having a chat with a family lawyer who can advise whether you are likely to achieve what you want to, most will do a free initial consultation. I've never done it so can't help with regrets but think you need to be clear on what you want to achieve and what the outcomes might be (family fall out etc).

prh47bridge Wed 15-Feb-17 14:13:25

if for example the person who made the will was badly advised

If this is about changing the will to reduce tax liabilities or similar you don't need to challenge the will. Provided any beneficiaries left worse off by the changes agree you can make a variation without any need for legal action. For more information see here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now