Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Dry cleaning wedding dress issue. What are my rights?

(1 Post)
calicocat88 Tue 14-Feb-17 09:44:28

I got married last summer and took my dress to a dry cleaner in September. I was charged £150 (which I have since been told is on the pricey side for this service). I have also very very stupidly not kept track of this original receipt..

Prior to them taking it in for cleaning, thye took down details of the dress condition. There was a very tiny hole around one threads which holds the layers of the dress together.

Anyway, a few weeks later I picked it up and took it home. I checked it over and found that there were two more small holes (fabric had pushed into them, I assume from the way it was dry cleaned/ hung whilst there). Anyway, I can live with these tiny ones. However, what had been a small hole when I dropped it off is now a tear a couple of inches long!

I took it back and they said they would send it away for mending for free (rightly so!). However it has been months now. I have checked up on this frequently and was told that it would be done by early December at the latest...

Two weeks ago I go back and ask a different member of staff (not the manager who I had been dealing with previously) and she pulls out the dress. I checked if it has been mended discover that it hasn't. But I was told that it was sent away for mending, so by being back there can I assume that it was never sent away? Have I been lied to? Can I just go and ask for a refund on the dry cleaning and take the dress, rip and all as I am getting bloody fed up?

Help!!!! What are my rights if they refuse the refund?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now