Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Deedpoll or common law?

(4 Posts)
SailAwayWithMeHoney Mon 13-Feb-17 13:15:58

Find myself in the position now to be looking at changing my name to try to stop my abusive ex-partner finding me and my child (biologically his but he's never met my child).

Am starting the process to have an emergency non-molestation order put into place following a not-guilty verdict at crown court trial (and subsequently nothing to stop him contacting or approaching me).

Does anyone know anything about name-changes? If I change my name via deedpoll, would that invalidate a non-mol saying "do not contact SailAway" or would they have to inform him of my new name to be able to serve the injunction? confused

And what does changing name via common law actually mean?

MrsBertBibby Mon 13-Feb-17 13:42:20

No, it wouldn't invalidate a non molestation order.

Is he on the child's birth certificate?

SailAwayWithMeHoney Mon 13-Feb-17 13:59:02

Thank you.

No he's not on the BC and has not got PR.

Collaborate Mon 13-Feb-17 20:50:17

No need for deed poll. Just do a change of name deed. No need to bother then with registration.

Or a stat dec for CON can be found here:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now