Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Statement for family court

(6 Posts)
cheekymofo Thu 09-Feb-17 08:56:00

Has anyone any advice on the best way to write a statement for a family court hearing?

This is my first experience of this and need to get it right!!

orangeterry Thu 09-Feb-17 10:08:15

Start with date , case ref number at top, applicant name v respondent name

Write your statement in chronological order and numbered
Stick to facts and mention in each point if you have hard evidence to support what you say

Finish off with a statement of truth , e.g. 'I believe the facts stated in this statement to be true

www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/family/practice_directions/pd_part_22a

That will help x

cheekymofo Thu 09-Feb-17 10:28:01

That is very helpful, thank you. I'm terrified of not everything across in a clear and sucent way and therefore I'm making the whole process far harder for myself! X

orangeterry Thu 09-Feb-17 11:18:14

I've wrote all my partners statements for court , I'm not a professional but we've always left with the outcome we wanted .
If you need any help you can private message me if you want x

FTCarer Fri 17-Feb-17 11:27:11

Also smile

- try and keep it short
- at th end it's not uncommon to ask the court what you want to happen next/ what you want it to order (such as, appointment of cafcass, financial disclosure etc depending on the nature of the case)

FV45 Fri 17-Feb-17 11:33:26

When I completed the CAO I found their own guidance notes kept me
focussed.

Why are you here?
What arrangements have you had before and why have they broken down?
What do you want the court to do?

Something like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now