Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

First passport application - change name by deed poll help please!

(9 Posts)
QueenOfTheWhiteWalkers Tue 07-Feb-17 15:19:46

DH has just applied for his first adult passport, (was on his aunt's passport back in the 80's as a kid).

The problem is when he was born he was given his dad's surname, so that's what is on his birth certificate. His mum divorced his dad not long after he was born and changed both her own name and DH's name to her surname. he never did this legally for DH.

He's always been known by his mum's maiden name. That is his name, I took this name when we got married, our kids have this name. All his bank accounts, bills, driving licence are in this name.

So when he applied for his passport he sent off his birth certificate (with his original birth name) and our marriage certificate which states DH maiden known formally known as birth name. As proof that this is his name.

Got a letter last week that says he needs to provide some more documentation like a bank statement to prove he's known as this name. So sent off bank statement.

Yesterday he got a phone call from the passport office to say that the bank statement is not enough. And he would need to do an "official" name change by deed poll through the courts and then send that off to them and they'll issue his passport.

Ok, so just downloaded the forms from the government website and it says you need 2 signatures, both cannot be family, must have known him for 10 years and also be homeowners! hmm

The only person we know who's a homeowner is my dad, and he's obviously family. So how does he get it signed? Does he need to see a solicitor? And how much will that cost?


AndNoneForGretchenWieners Tue 07-Feb-17 15:22:05

What about his GP? Solicitor wouldn't be any help unless they have known him long enough. Someone at work?

QueenOfTheWhiteWalkers Tue 07-Feb-17 15:29:14

Oh and now just reading through the notes in depth, he needs to provide his birth certificate to prove he's British citizen. Yet the passport office have his birth certificate, and won't be sending it back till his application has gone through. FFS you couldn't make this shit up! hmm

QueenOfTheWhiteWalkers Tue 07-Feb-17 15:30:27

His GP has retired and his new one has only been there a year! He's out of work atm.

WhaddaPalaver Tue 07-Feb-17 15:31:32

GP/vet/teachers etc are usually happy to help with this sort of thing.

Sounds like you might have to fork out for another birth certificate.

Most annoying!

WhaddaPalaver Tue 07-Feb-17 15:32:29

Former colleagues/old friends?

altkat Tue 07-Feb-17 15:40:49

When I changed my name by deed poll I just printed out forms from a free site after reading this article:

(Sorry for horrendous link! )

Sent off a copy to DVLA as per instructions and got my drivers license. There's no formal process to the deed poll thing it seems, and the signatories don't have to be anyone particular. Neither of mine were homeowners, though I had known them for over 10 years.

How did he get the drivers license in the maiden name in the first place?

QueenOfTheWhiteWalkers Tue 07-Feb-17 18:22:51

Thanks will take a look at that link altkat. He would have got his driver's licence with just his birth certificate and possibly his bank card. confused It was 20 years ago though!

HowDoYouExplainThis Tue 07-Feb-17 23:23:48

Even on the .gov website it says deedpolls are free and gives you the information on what to say.

Just print it off and get two people to sign it. You don't need to pay unless you want it registered.

It's how I did mine and my sons which have been accepted everywhere

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: