Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Schedule of losses

(5 Posts)
SplitEndsBushyEyebrows Sat 04-Feb-17 13:12:44

Hi,

I have a pending personal injury claim and have just been having a look over paperwork. I was sent a schedule of losses by my solicitor which amounts to just over 20k...is this document actually submitted and the costs claimed for? Ie is my solicitor expecting these costs to be paid out? I wasn't expecting anywhere near this figure.
Any help appreciated!

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 04-Feb-17 21:33:35

It will be what he submits to the person you are claiming off.

If it shows his costs then it will depend on what basis you have instructed him as to whether you pay him or whether it is covered by insurance or conditional upon winning the case. What does your letter of engagement say? First letter sent out showing terms.

mlr1uk Sat 04-Feb-17 22:22:26

The schedule of loss is your claim for damages arising out of the accident and injury sustained. Usually it would be loss of earnings, treatment fees, care costs etc

Be careful as the document is verified by a statement of truth so if you sign it but it is not true (i.e. It contains items you are not claiming for) you could be held in contempt of court.

I'd speak to your solicitors if you are concerned by the amount claimed or any of the items on it before you sign it.

smile

SplitEndsBushyEyebrows Sun 05-Feb-17 14:12:09

Thanks both, I think I will call on Monday. What bothers me is the care and assistance element - this is made up of X hours of help from my partner for example. I remember feeling really uneasy when asked to put a number on hours I was supported due to pain etc but he kind of gave the impression that it's just an estimate. I'm worried about how I would evidence the exact number of hours of care and assistance on the claim!

Does the other party usually challenge this element of a claim? They've admitted liability.
Thanks again!

PlectrumElectrum Sun 05-Feb-17 17:56:07

If you've based your information on reasonable timing/tasks etc. then it's usually used as a basis to calculate a monetary figure for compensation. E.g. Depending on your injuries & how they've limited your ability to do certain tasks, estimating say 3 hours a week for hoovering = reasonable, & probably accepted. Estimating 30 hours a week for hoovering = excessive & likely challenged/reduced figure offered in response. That's just a blunt example but it's how it works - bed ridden for x period you'll likely need a lot of care/assistance. Not bed ridden but restricted in some weekly tasks, then not as much help/assistant required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now