Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce: How Do I Proof That My Husband has Alias Names?

(3 Posts)
user1469910385 Sat 04-Feb-17 01:09:47

Hi There

I am wondering if anyone on here can help me. To cut a long story short. I split with my husband due to domestic violence. Therefore, I received occupancy whilst still living in the UK. Due to securing a job abroad I was granted approval to relocate with our child as I could have been made homeless in the UK. There was no way I could afford to stay in London as a single mother.

Now we are going through a divorce, and due to finances I am representing our son and myself. The issue is whilst going through the child arrangements case it was highlighted in a report that my husband has 7 alias names. It was not investigated as the magistrates assumed this was possibly spelling mistakes. His name is not difficult - Maybe 1 or 2 could have been spelling mistakes, but not 7. When I was at the police station, they did as me is this the only name I know him buy. I said yes. Why would I assume the person I loved would have aliases. Due to confidentiality they could not tell me anything.

Anyway, whilst I was living in the matrimonial home (which is in his name) I came across a letter which had a different surname. This name has now appeared on one his bank statements, which he handed in for the financial statement, where he appears to be transferring money into his account. There are a few other names which are on his bank statements which I believe could be his, but without evidence I do not know how I can proof this. The only thing I think I can do is show the court orders and cafcass reports from the child arrangements case as the judge wants to know the history of why we want a divorce. Can I do this? The Caffcass report highlights he has aliases and they were supposed to investigate further and they did not.

My husband has put on the form that he wants to claim money from me, but I am the one who has child custody and have to travel back every other month for handovers, (which is more expensive than I thought it would be. I also ensure our son is available for Skype calls. He has to travel here but he still has not done so. I am the only one providing for our child. Due to relocating the CSA in the UK highlighted that it is not in their jurisdiction to chase him for money whilst living abroad and it will be up to him if he continues to transfer money. Therefore, the very minimal amount of money he was transferring (£30 a month) stopped.

Personally, it does not bother me if he gives me anything or not. Although, it is a bit of a struggle. I am earning enough to be able to pay the rent/bills and support our child - food, clothes/shoes etc and have a reasonably good life. Luckily, he is in a public school and I am just paying for his lunch every month and things he needs for nursery. However, I would like my husband to contribute towards the maintenance. Yes, where I am living is cheaper than the UK but because I am also trying to keep up with my debts and ensure our child is taken care off it is damn well hard. When he starts primary school in 2 years, apparently the he will be going on trips and swimming classes etc which need to be paid for in advance.

My husband is still not not working and claimed he was made redundant. I believe he asked the company to do it as he made out he was not performing. But at the time when I was able to pay for a solicitor (with the help of friends) the company he was working for paid him commission which was a really good amount and he did not even help with maintenance at the time. He highlighted to the court that he is setting up a company. Therefore, the money he receives is from a government grant.

I know my husband and there is no way he can live on the minimal amount of money. Whilst living in the flat he left me paying for the nursery fees which was just under half my monthly salary. Luckily,, I was receiving child care vouchers and 15hrs free. The 15hrs did not cover the summer months. At the same time I was paying for the bills and my debts. I decided not to pay towards the mortgage. And he did not pay for it either whilst I was in the property.

Before, all this happened I remember him telling me whilst we were together that he had 2 other properties. We were also viewing properties to buy which were priced at £600,000 - £900,000. I could not afford this, but he said he would sell his properties. He has denied this. Personally, I was not interested in his properties and buying a property for so much. The only issue is again I do not have evidence. If he has these properties or not. Therefore, I can only go with the 7 alias names and can only pray the judge requests this is investigated.

The 1st appointment has now been adjourned and I am having difficulties talking to someone legally as I am abroad. I need someone who knows UK law. With the lack of funds there is only so much that I can do.

Thank you in advance!

MrsBertBibby Sat 04-Feb-17 09:32:10

The answer to your straightforward question is that yes, you can show the CAFCASS document in the divorce proceedings. Do any ofvthose aliases match the names on the bank statements?

The rest is harder to answer without more info. You need to get proper advice. Whereabouts is the Court where your financial proceedings are taking place?

user1469910385 Sat 04-Feb-17 13:10:36

Thanks MrsBertBibby. I will provide the info.
Caffcass just highlighted that he has 7 aliases and were supposed to investigate, but didn't. The Magistrates at the time said they believe the 7 aliases were spelling mistakes so there was no need to take it further.

When I was at the property I came across a letter from a hospital with a different surname which I have seen on his bank statements which he had to exchange.

Because it was adjourned and due to availability of a judge it will now be at Bow Family Court, London.
And yesterday when his phone cut out whilst talking to our child via Skype. He sent an email using another name from the company he has set up. So I will show this as well and hope the judge will question it and decide that it should be investigated.

Unless I find someone in this country who knows UK law it will be difficult. Also, I cannot afford solicitors any more.. During the child arrangement case my friends were helping me out. Which I appreciate sooo much. Now, I have to do this on my own.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: