Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How does the CSA work?

(2 Posts)
Bellebo Fri 03-Feb-17 16:57:54

Genuine question because I can't seem to get straight answers from the CSA phone help line and don't know whether I should apply for an assessment now or bide my time.

My DCs' dad stopped paying any child maintenance years ago and since then has said he has no job, even though I'm sure he has worked (perhaps consulting), and even though with his declared "no income" he has still managed to support himself, his other half and their DC in exactly the same lifestyle as when he did have a job. I took legal advice a while ago and the lawyer said unless he is honest about his earnings, or is in a PAYE position, you won't get anything out of the CSA. So I didn't bother.

Recently I've been given good reason to believe he's got a new job and so I'm thinking it might be worth going to the CSA. But from what I read on here, they are pretty useless when the NP lies about income/employment.

If the NP lies about having a job, I think the CSA go on HMRC records. Does that mean that if someone's been out of work for a while but now has a job, it would be better to wait to the end of the tax year to make a CSA claim, so that it would be assessed on all of the earnings declared through PAYE in this tax year rather than a previous tax year when they declared no income?

delilahbucket Sat 04-Feb-17 15:58:26

Get your claim in now. Do not delay it any longer. Even if he isn't working he is still liable. Any benefits he is getting will have the amount deducted automatically.
CMS have access to hmrc PAYE systems so they will base the assessment on whatever his pay is now. The year end figure is irrelevant as they will get up to date info if and when it changes. Last year's income is also irrelevant. It isn't like tax credits.
I have found the CMS far more competent than the CSA when it comes to the nrp lying about their income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now