Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlord accessing property without notice or permission

(7 Posts)
HelpwithLL Wed 01-Feb-17 22:01:35

I rent a room in a shared house. The landlord lives somewhere else.

I know that he needs access to the house to do viewings but I thought he still needed to give us notice? He has been coming round while we are at work. He also said he needs to show all the rooms and not just the one that is empty so allows potential tenants access to my room. I am not allowed a lock on this and since I don't always have notice I can't be there to stop this.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything that I can do? I went to Citizens advice but they just said that there was nothing that I could do. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I'm in England if that helps.

daisygirlmac Wed 01-Feb-17 22:03:48

I'm not so good on HMOs but it might be helpful to have a look on the Shelter website for more advice. Also the housing board on moneysavingexpert tends to have some VERY well informed people around

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 01-Feb-17 22:13:47

Do you have a tenancy agreement?

HelpwithLL Thu 02-Feb-17 13:16:47

Thanks daisy

Bibbity, it says I'm meant to get a minimum of 24 hours notice, so I wondered if there was anything I could do since he isn't sticking to this?

HelpwithLL Thu 02-Feb-17 19:46:24

Bumping for the evening crowd, any advice appreciated! Thanks

wowfudge Fri 03-Feb-17 16:51:44

Contact Shelter for advice. They are likely to be more clued up as housing is their speciality.

MarilynWhirlwindRocks Fri 03-Feb-17 17:03:58

No knowledge or advice, I'm afraid, but am bumping this for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now