Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Adoption order and surnames

(3 Posts)
Anothernamesake Fri 27-Jan-17 20:29:44

Told by lovely MNetter to come over here after posting in adoption. Here is my other thread:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/adoptions/2839326-Can-anyone-help-please?msgid=66528046#66528046

Just wondering if anyone in with the legal know how wouldn't mind reading the other thread regarding surnames and adoption orders and can advise me?

Anothernamesake Fri 27-Jan-17 20:30:30

Sorry if that link is not clicky. I am an actual dinosaur where it comes to these things!

prh47bridge Sat 28-Jan-17 00:28:49

It is possible the court will order that you cannot change your children's surname. If they do you cannot change your children's surname after the adoption even though you and your partner will be the only people with parental responsibility. That does not, however, mean that they will have to use their biological father's name for the rest of their lives. Once they are 16 they will be able to change their names if they wish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now