Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

DBS check for work - will an arrest show up?

(22 Posts)
PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 18:34:59

Hi wonder if anyone can give me advice about a DBS check about to be carried out by my employer?

Everyone in the company has been informed that all employees in certain departments will have DBS check carried out. I am in the finance department so will be included. The firm is a regulated financial services company.

The thing is just before I started at this firm 5 years ago I took my previous employer to an industrial tribunal as they made up stories that I had stolen money and sacked me. All totally untrue. When I refused to drop the case they made a false statement to the police about me and I was arrested for questioning. I quickly provided proof that the allegations were untrue and the police took no further action, no charges brought.

However I am now worried the arrest will turn up in the DBS check and I will be sacked. Have never had a DBS check until now.

Please help I am so worried sad

FuckDietCoke Sat 21-Jan-17 18:37:59

I look at DBS certificates every day, I've never seen one that states a person had been arrested - even on enhanced checks. Only convictions, cautions and driving charges show as far as I'm aware.

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 19:15:33

Thanks for the reply, FDC, that's very reassuring.

It's bad enough that I can't go to US on holiday without losing my job as well sad

KP86 Sat 21-Jan-17 19:42:07

Why can't you go to the US?

ihatethecold Sat 21-Jan-17 19:49:01

I'm curious too?

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 19:56:22

Can't use the ESTA as you are barred if you have any arrests. Technically not eligible to travel to USA if criminal record or any arrests.

Have to apply for full visa and apply for waiver of ineligibility. Very expensive, takes months, have to be interviewed at US Embassy and can be turned down with no right to appeal.

So though I could technically apply for a full visa it just seems like a massive hassle with no guarantee of success

KP86 Sat 21-Jan-17 20:03:57

Even false arrests? That's absurd.

Fallonjamie Sat 21-Jan-17 20:05:01

How do you think American Airlines workers would find out about an arrest that doesn't even show up on a DBS?

ilovesooty Sat 21-Jan-17 20:08:30

Is there a time limit? I have a friend who was arrested, charged and convicted in the 1980s and has been to the USA twice.

prh47bridge Sat 21-Jan-17 20:14:24

An enhanced DBS check includes any information the police consider relevant as well as information about convictions and cautions. In theory an arrest could be included but I have never seen it on any DBS check. As you proved the allegations were untrue the arrest is irrelevant and will definitely not appear.

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 20:16:16

Absurd but true, KP. Check out the US Embassy website, it's all there.

Gallon, there's a lot of different opinions on this. The arrest will be on the police national computer. Some people think the police share this info with US immigration, some don't. Police won't confirm either way, I tried via my MP, they refused to comment.

So yes I could chance it by lying on ESTA but not sure if I want to take the risk.

It really is crap when you have done nothing wrong, but that's how it is.

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 20:18:42

Prh, do financial services require an enhanced check?

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 20:20:08

Ilovesooty, there is no time limit. Your friend lied on their ESTA and got away with it twice.

prh47bridge Sat 21-Jan-17 20:22:03

How do you think American Airlines workers would find out about an arrest that doesn't even show up on a DBS

An American Airlines worker would not find out but, whilst the US does not have direct access to the PNC, they can request individual records. It is unlikely US border officials would find out but it is possible the OP would be caught by a random check.

Is there a time limit

There do appear to be time limits but I'm not entirely clear what they are for an arrest where the individual is not charged. The OP would need to ask the US embassy if she wants to travel to the US.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 21-Jan-17 20:26:07

That's interesting, I was told it only applied to arrests etc in USA, not another country. I've known a number of people who've gone there on the visa waiver scheme who've spent time in prison. Perhaps they were just lucky?

prh47bridge Sat 21-Jan-17 20:29:25

Prh, do financial services require an enhanced check

Having checked, financial services personnel are only eligible for standard checks. That means your check will only include information on convictions and cautions.

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 20:34:28

Thanks for taking the time to check that, prh, much apppreciated. A great weight off my mind.

prh47bridge Sat 21-Jan-17 20:35:32

Perhaps they were just lucky

Some offences don't affect an application to travel to the US. Even if the offence is relevant, factors such as your age at the time of the offence and the length of time since conviction or release are relevant. So, even though they spent time in prison, they may have been in the clear. Even if they were not, the US does not have access to the PNC and cannot check every single ESTA application. If someone lies and says they don't have any arrests or convictions for relevant offences they may well get away with it unless their actions make US border officials suspicious or they get caught by a random check.

prh47bridge Sat 21-Jan-17 20:36:28

You are very welcome PinkMarigolds.

PinkMarigolds Sat 21-Jan-17 20:38:23

Itscurtains, it applies to arrests and convictions anywhere, but obviously US immigration officials have direct access to their own criminal database so those are highly likely to be picked up. Those from other countries have to be specifically requested from that country so not routinely checked.

sunnyhills Thu 26-Jan-17 09:51:03

PinkMarigolds - I have a caution and had to apply for a visa and waiver . Interview at Embassy etc .

I found it v stressful but I don't remember it being that expensive .About £70 7 years ago and valid for 10 IIR.
And was all much quicker ( about 6 weeks ) than I expected from warnings /info received .

Wasn't prepared for the extra questions ( had to explain cicumstances of caution ) to US customs when we changed flights . Embarrasing but survivable .

I can't see that if you applied you wouldn't be succesful so if you did want to visit US ,I'd go for it .

Redglitter Thu 26-Jan-17 09:54:01

Marigolds And arrest won't show up on the Police National Computer. It shows convictions & pending cases. If you weren't charged merely being arrested as part of an investigation won't show up

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now