Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is it contempt of court to talk to your MP about a family court case?

(10 Posts)
snowflakesandstrawberries Fri 20-Jan-17 13:41:12

Following on from a couple of threads in lone parents, people keep telling me to go to my MP for advice. With the family courts being closed as they are, and they put it in the order that it is not to be disclosed, if you go to your MP for help, is this contempt? Can you then be hauled over the coals for asking for help in an impossible situation?!

MrsBertBibby Fri 20-Jan-17 16:08:17

Yes, you can go to your MP. There's a specific provision that allows this.

snowflakesandstrawberries Fri 20-Jan-17 16:17:02

Have you any experience of this? Wouldn't it then be used against me?

MrsBertBibby Fri 20-Jan-17 16:34:36

Hmm, actually, the specific mention of MPs and Peers is in relation to adoption type proceedings. I'm sure it used to be there for care/private law proceedings.

If you're wanting to get help Ir support in ongoing proceedings, then arguably you within r12.75 (a) of the family procedure rules, but if you're wanting to campaign after the event, then nope.

Huh.

snowflakesandstrawberries Fri 20-Jan-17 16:46:47

Thank you

MrsBertBibby Fri 20-Jan-17 16:53:25

Well thank you! Always good to be made to check what you think you know.

snowflakesandstrawberries Fri 20-Jan-17 17:11:11

Can they realistically take any action or is it just something people say they are going to do as a last resort?

MrsBertBibby Fri 20-Jan-17 17:21:49

Having nosed at your other thread, I'd say leave it. There's not much an mp can do, and it will just be another example of your alleged trying to get people on side, if it gets out.

I've seen guardians in private law proceedings work on the basis that it must all be the resident parent's fault. The scales finally fell in one case, in the other, I don't think she ever accepted that she was wrong about my client.

snowflakesandstrawberries Fri 20-Jan-17 17:28:20

Oh thanks for that. I was trying to make a link work.

I'm going to lose my kids aren't I?

MrsBertBibby Fri 20-Jan-17 17:32:03

I hope not, but can I suggest you get these threads deleted? I imagine you are very easily recognized.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now