Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

1st ever involvement with police - so scared

(22 Posts)
OhGollyGosh Fri 20-Jan-17 08:59:54

Basically I have done something stupid and sent an anonymous text to the parents of the school bully who has been bullying my son with special needs. It was unpleasant and a bit abusive but no threats of any kind. The parents don't know it was me but have been determined to find out who it is. They have gone to the police about 'harrassment' and have obviously fabricated a few other letters they have 'had through the post' in order to get the police to investigate. The police have already questioned one of the dads at the school as the parents in question thought it was him. The Police are now investigating further and will easily be able to trace the text message to me - it was sent in anger and I never thought about it being traced. I have done absolutely nothing else so nothing else can be traced to me.

I am very fearful of these parents and I am so worried about the police finding out it was me and then them giving my name to the parents e.g. ' we have traced the message to Mrs so and so, do you know her' before they have spoken to me. Is there any chance the police will come to me first and let me give my side of the story and I can beg them not to divulge my name as I haven't actually committed a crime?

mouldycheesefan Fri 20-Jan-17 09:00:55

Ring them and see.

OhGollyGosh Fri 20-Jan-17 09:03:53

Can I ring them and see? Surely they will ask questions and expect me to go into the station if I know something about the incident. I'm reluctant to do that as there is still a tiny chance the police won't take it any further.

OlennasWimple Fri 20-Jan-17 09:05:08

Maybe they have genuinely received other letters?

Downstairspoo Fri 20-Jan-17 09:06:40

OP you had a long thread on this before I recall. Sorry to hear you are still worried about it.
Why don't you take control and go to the police first. You've sent one text, you're right it's not a crime.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Fri 20-Jan-17 09:08:44

OP you have posted about this dilemma all of December, and we are at the end of Jan and they still haven't realised that it's you, so luckily it seems you have got away with it. You have received 100's of replies telling you the same thing, that the police are not going to be that interested in something which is not a crime (if you didn't send more than one text and it had no actual threat in it, you didn't send others so can't be guilty of harassment). YOur worry about this is out of all proportion to this being discovered, and you should not contact the police, but go to the GP and talk about feeling anxious and depressed, as this situation is getting the better of you.

Sorry to be blunt, but you have started so many threads on this and received so much advice and nothing has changed. See the GP.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Fri 20-Jan-17 09:09:45

Do not go to the police!!!!! They are uninterested in this case and in two months haven't approached the OP. Why on earth would you stir this up again?

OhGollyGosh Fri 20-Jan-17 09:13:30

Is sent the text in November but they only went to the police recently. The other parent was questioned last week so they are investigating.

mouldycheesefan Fri 20-Jan-17 09:13:50

Ah sorry didn't realise this had been going on for yonks and was repeat posting.

DumbledoresArmy Fri 20-Jan-17 09:16:27

Even if the Police came around now, which is doubtful there would be no further action against yourself under the circumstances.

Perhaps in future if bullying continues you report it to the Police yourself. It'll be logged as a hate crime & they'll investigate appropriately.

SoupDragon Fri 20-Jan-17 09:16:37

Do you know from an independent source that the other parent has actually been questioned?

MorrisZapp Fri 20-Jan-17 09:19:51

The police have literally no time for this, as you have been told many times over already. Do you suffer from anxiety? Your reactions to all of this are vastly out of proportion.

OhGollyGosh Fri 20-Jan-17 09:23:26

Yes I know from another parent and the parent in question confirmed it so they are definitely investigating.

OhGollyGosh Fri 20-Jan-17 09:24:51

Everyone told me the police would have no time for it but the parents involved have obviously fabricated some other 'letters' so that they would investigate under harrassment.

Efferlunt Fri 20-Jan-17 09:32:32

My DH was attacked in the street by a van driver. The police followed up with the company who owned the van but they 'couldn't remember' who was driving that day. Police told us they didn't have the resources to investigate further.

I doubt they are going to go to the ends of the earth for this to be honest. Playground gossip won't be a good indication of what is actually happening.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Fri 20-Jan-17 09:35:42

Why would they investigate the other parent if they had evidence that the original text was sent by you?

Keep quiet, stop asking everyone in the playground about it, and go about your business.

PoisonousSmurf Fri 20-Jan-17 09:39:04

Sounds like the bullies parents are a nasty piece of work anyway! Maybe the whole school hates them.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 20-Jan-17 09:42:59

have obviously fabricated a few other letters they have 'had through the post' in order to get the police to investigate.

How do you know they are fabricated? Unless you have seen them you have no way of knowing.

OhGollyGosh Fri 20-Jan-17 09:46:57

They only went for a 'chat' with the other person as the parents have thought it was them all along. The police then told them that they would investigate further which I presume means to trace the text.

I don't know the letters were fabricated but the parents have said that they will find out who sent the text my whatever means necessary and knowing what they are like I am just guessing that this was what they did once they were told the police would not investigate 1 text message.

Quarksoundslikequack Fri 20-Jan-17 10:06:18

Not a chance the police will "trace" the text.

They haven't the funds to go around looking for someone who text another person.

Trust me, don't worry yourself.

Foureyesarebetterthantwo Fri 20-Jan-17 10:18:47

They obviously interviewed the other parents as the parents suspected them. But nothing has happened to these parents and no-one can prove they did/didn't sent any additional letters and the police have gone away.

I think you are making yourself look more suspicious by asking about it all the time. Just don't mention it, and if anyone tells you about it say 'oh, I thought it had all blown over by now'.

You thought they had a private detective, the police would detect the phone and nothing has happened or been linked to you in two months. Either they are all the world's shittest detectives, or actually they are either disinterested or have no way of connecting this to you.

Keep a low profile and this really all will blow over.

ivebeenthereonholiday Fri 20-Jan-17 12:38:19

It's not illegal to send a text message op as long as it wasn't threatening. They might not have liked the content but you can't get arrested for pissing them off. If you didn't send the letters you have nothing to worry about.

If it did ever come out I would say you thought they had your number, wasn't meant to be anonymous it was you giving them a piece of your mind which you're entitled to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now