Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

What do I do re schools if I want to move?

(5 Posts)
MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 16-Jan-17 18:02:10

I'm the resident parent for our 2 children. ExH is in former matrimonial home (which he claims I have no rights to because he inherited it before we met...but that's a whole other story).

When we separated I rented a flat close to my eldest's school so that disruption could be kept to a minimum. DS2 hasn't started school yet. But I can't afford to keep renting my flat, I need to move somewhere cheaper.

But exH has made it clear he will oppose any move to change school, even though I've told him I can't afford to live here any more. (We live in a stupidly expensive area-by moving 10 miles away I can save around £250 a month on rent)

I told ex I wouldn't move so far away that he couldn't see the boys regularly but I've since had another letter from his solicitor demanding my assurance that I won't move the boys from their current school/nursery.

What can I do?

MrsBertBibby Mon 16-Jan-17 18:10:37

You politely decline to give any such assurance, and say where you intend to go, with details of proposed school.

It's up to him to apply to the court to stop you changing school. So let him. He's unlikely to succeed, especially when he's sitting in the family home like a dog in the manger.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 16-Jan-17 18:15:32

Will the school seek consent from him to accept DS or can I go ahead with it?

MrsBertBibby Mon 16-Jan-17 18:19:06

No, the school can act on one parent's direction.

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 16-Jan-17 18:20:51

Thanks. Fingers crossed but exH still wants to control me and thinks he can dictate where I live.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: