Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Am I under any obligation to tell them I've paid the Dartford Crossing Charge?

(12 Posts)
WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 10-Jan-17 11:12:17

They've 'fined' me 3 times in the last 7 weeks. Each time I've provided proof I paid the charge as I have the emailed receipt. Each time they've written back saying it was an admin error.

4th one arrived today. Again I've paid the charge at the time and have a receipt. Do I have to tell them again (at the cost of a stamp to me, it's not free post).

Yes, I can afford the stamp but it's the principle of it. I've only gone over the 4 times (return) so it's every time I've used it meaning it's cost me an extra £0.56 for the stamp each time.

What happens if I don't write to them?

Collaborate Tue 10-Jan-17 14:18:04

You'd only have yourself to blame if they try and sue you for it. I suggest you simply email them this time.

WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 10-Jan-17 14:38:15

Unfortunately there's no option to email them.

They can't sue me. I haven't done anything confused as far as I know.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 10-Jan-17 14:40:24

Put in a formal complaint. Challenge the PCN online through the same link:

www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/Static/Complaints

tickingthebox Tue 10-Jan-17 14:41:12

I would send one more and include a strongly worded letter, to the effect that if they do it to you again you will begin charging them for your administration and postage at £50 per hour!

WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 10-Jan-17 15:00:48

You can't challenge the charge online, that link takes you to a sentence saying you can complain by emailing but 'you must use the statutory process in the letter we sent you' (ie. fill in their form and post it back).

Does anyone know if I HAVE to contact them. If I just left it, let it go all the way and then turned up in court with the proof I'd paid - what would happen?

WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 10-Jan-17 15:02:39

Wait, I could just not put a stamp on couldn't I ? They'd have to collect it then.

I can photograph the form and keep a record of filling it in.

EggnogChai Tue 10-Jan-17 15:03:57

They don't sue you, just pass on the debt to a debt collector

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 10-Jan-17 15:07:54

If they took you to court and you had failed to act at an earlier time, the court would take a very dim view of the court time being wasted. By you.....

Here's the link to dispute it online. www.dartford-crossing-charge.service.gov.uk/MakeRepresentation/MakeRepresentation

WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 10-Jan-17 15:25:06

Thank you for that Vivienne, it's not on the form they sent me. The only option they give you is to post it back.

I've filled in the online form.smile

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Tue 10-Jan-17 15:30:55

Good stuff! They always hide things like this, I'm sure it's in the hope that you won't do anything about it. Still complain though, 4 times is an unacceptable level of error, let alone incompetent.

WorldsSmallestPatio Tue 10-Jan-17 15:47:25

I think that's why I'm so miffed. I think it's a deliberate money making scam. There's no way they should make that error 4 times - I'm feeling pretty cynical about it hmm

Wonder how many people pay because they've lost the receipt?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now