Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Hermes has misdelivered my Boden parcel and someone has signed for it and kept it.

(9 Posts)
NennyNooNoo Sun 08-Jan-17 13:29:47

Placed an order of about £100 value last week. Got an email Friday morning saying it would be delivered that afternoon so I was at home and looking out for it. A few hours later, another email saying parcel had been delivered and signed for by customer. Checked the garden but no parcel to be seen anywhere and I certainly hadn't signed for anything. I can't contact Hermes directly so I phoned Boden who will send out a replacement at no extra cost to me, as the fault appears to be with the courier, although I have no proof that I didn't receive it other than that the squiggle signature isn't mine.

Obviously I'm not out of pocket as Boden are bearing the cost, presumably to be reclaimed from Hermes. But is it not theft to sign for and keep a parcel that is clearly destined for someone else?

This is not the first time it has happened. Last time an internet order parcel (children's clothing) went missing, I spoke with the courier several weeks later, who had just started her job and confirmed that she had mistakenly delivered it to a property on the same street with a similar name (rural area with no house numbers). Our address is 'X' house, road name; their address is 'X' farm, road name. I never saw that parcel again either. I have been round to 'X' farm this morning to ask if they have my parcel by mistake but the property is unoccupied and derelict, so I am guessing that the owner may have been there on a flying visit on Friday afternoon. If it turns out that this parcel has gone to X farm again, should I follow this up with the police, or would that be wasting their time? On principle, I just don't think people should be able to get away with this.

NennyNooNoo Tue 10-Jan-17 22:36:11

It just turned up on my doorstep today! 5 days after someone signed for it. No idea who.

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 10-Jan-17 22:49:17

As Hermes said someone had signed for a parcel which was actually left hanging from the front of our letterbox I tend to take their claim that something has been signed for with a pinch of salt.

LouiseBrooks Tue 10-Jan-17 22:57:06

Hermes once tried to delivered a Boden parcel to my old office address, despite the fact they had the new (ie been there five years!) address and had delivered my previous package to the right place only the week before. It was something to do with the way they located my company name which had both addresses linked to it.

I loved the fact that the tracker said "no one available to sign for package" when in fact the old building had been demolished and was now a building site!

Newbrummie Wed 11-Jan-17 15:06:02

I live in a funny place which does make it hard to find, but I've had parcels thrown over the fence that have allegedly been signed for. I think Biden, next etc just accept and factor into their prices a fair amount of looses nowadays

user1477462353 Wed 11-Jan-17 15:08:40

Same happened to me before Christmas only the person that signed brought back the parcel a couple of weeks later.

Manumission Wed 11-Jan-17 15:11:01

I wouldn't be so ready to believe a parcel has been delivered to a "derelict" building TBH.

Nice courier ladies sometimes tell whoppers.

Chewbecca Wed 11-Jan-17 15:14:13

I assume Boden will follow it up with Hermes and the courier. They're just sending you a replacement so you get what you ordered, doesn't mean that's the end of the matter for them?

LouiseBrooks Wed 11-Jan-17 15:15:26

They didn't deliver it as "there was no one to sign" but I can only assume there was no category for "it's been knocked down".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now