Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Chargeback advice, Ness in administration

(5 Posts)
MillyDLA Wed 04-Jan-17 20:56:40

I would be really grateful for some advice about claiming for goods through 'chargeback' on a credit card.

I was bought an expensive dress from Ness for Christmas. On opening the wool dress is very creased and unwearable. As it is pure wool I wasn't sure what to do with it, iron or steam it and decided to return it as unwearable due to the condition it was in when it arrived. My OH has contacted Ness, as directed, to make a return. He has just received an email saying that Ness is in administration and the item cannot be returned.

I would appreciate some advice. Could we make a claim through 'chargeback' as we do already have the goods?
Would the chargeback pay out just because the item isn't wearable?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

UrethaFranklin Thu 05-Jan-17 10:42:53

There is some information on the Which? website however it does say this:

If a retailer goes into administration, it can refuse to accept gift vouchers or chargeback claims. But, the administrators may choose to refund all or part of your money.

So, it may be worth a try however I personally can't see a chargeback claim being accepted just because a dress is creased!

MillyDLA Thu 05-Jan-17 18:03:20

Yes, it seems we are going to be out of pocket by over a hundred pounds then. This dress would definitely have been sent back as it really isn't wearable. It is damp and has been poorly stored. I suppose nothing to lose now by trying to iron it out or have it dry cleaned.

No wonder Ness are in administration if this is how they send out their expensive wool garments.
Now I am left with a dress I can't wear, a bill for it and no chance to return.

I wonder what will happen to customers who have bought items that don't fit, these can't be returned either. Stuck with them.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 05-Jan-17 18:15:08

Where do you live? Ness in Cambridge is still open (or at least it was yesterday). If you live near a store perhaps you could do an instore exchange.

cdtaylornats Thu 05-Jan-17 22:05:34

Raise the issue with your credit card provider

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now