Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Email from Tenant at the 11th hour refusing to pay increase tomorrow.

(10 Posts)
birdladyfromhomealone Mon 02-Jan-17 21:50:27

As tital.
Gave notice in September that we would be increasing rent £27 pcm. From Jan 3rd 17.
This is the first increase and they have been tenants for over three years.
Tonight we had an email that they have not signed the new contract or changed their direct debit as although they they agreed to this increase in Sept they now say they want repairs done first.
We had new DG windows fitted just before they moved in 3 years ago. They have managed to break 3 window locks in that time. The first one we replaced within the guarantee but these further two were broken in the summer.
We said they broke them so they should pay to replace them.
There was also a leak from the shower which was fixed at our expense.
We also had to have the ceiling re plastered due to the leak. We went round as planned to paint the new ceiling and the tenant a SAHM had forgotten and was out. A wasted 25mile round trip for us.
We texted and she apologised and has never come back with another convenient time so we left it.
Now they are saying they are not paying the increase tomorrow until we do the repairs.
Thoughts please

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 02-Jan-17 21:53:55

notice.
I assume it's a rolling contract now?

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 02-Jan-17 21:56:51

Ib September they agreed verbally and on email to fix in for another 6 months from tomorrow and pay £27 increase.
We emailed the contract to them one week ago and tonight have emailed to say they have not signed the new contract nor changed their DD until we sort out the windows and ceiling painted.

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 02-Jan-17 21:57:42

Can we give them a Sec 21 dated tomorrow or does it have to be tonight?

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 02-Jan-17 22:00:24

so it's now a rolling contract as I understand. you can give 2 months notice.
but get advice on landlordzone/shelter so everything it's above board.

OurMiracle1106 Mon 02-Jan-17 22:00:24

Maybe you should look at prices for similar properties and once repairs are done issue them with a rent increase to match that? 27£ a month doesn't seem much (seeing as my room has gone up 25£ per week in that time).

If they aren't then going to accept rent increase I would issue notice.

Also with regards to repairs inform them you will need access and get written permission if not in that you maybe enter without them present

OurMiracle1106 Mon 02-Jan-17 22:01:53

Dated tomorrow should be fine as they would have started their tenancy on 3rd. Word of advice hand deliver it and get an acknowledgement of it being served

In addition send recorded delivery just to cover yourself

Sycamoretrees Mon 02-Jan-17 22:09:12

I suspect with Christmas January is a bit tight money wise and they are stalling as they've not got the cash. Do you know how the window locks have been broken? Are they faulty or have they taken a hammer to them - odd thing to break? As an aside, not sure why you've mentioned that you've fixed the shower leak at your expense...surely that's your responsibility not a perk for your tennant?

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 02-Jan-17 22:19:19

The ceiling had to be replastered as they looped the shower head round the taps and it leaked damaging the kitchen ceiling.
Their son breaks the window locks by trying to escape. He has locked her out numerous times resulting in locksmiths for the back door.
The rent is £100 under market value- no increase in 3 years.

Sycamoretrees Mon 02-Jan-17 22:49:10

Doesn't sound like they're ideal tenants then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now