Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Unpaid bill

(8 Posts)
Mermaidinthesea Sat 31-Dec-16 12:11:43

My husband dumped me and left me to pay all the bills which was a real struggle, most of them were in my name. He has gone off with no forwarding address and is not answering emails or the phone. he has had his mail redirected.
We are not yet legally separated.
The loan for the boiler is in his name and is a lot of money £150 a month for the next two years.
I have cancelled the DD as it's in his name and I don't see why I should pay it.
Am I liable to pick up the tab as I'm still his wife even though it's not in my name? I don't want to get into trouble and will pay it if I have to.
Trouble is I can;t get it transferred into my name as they will not speak to me as I'm not the name on the loan so my hands are tied also I rang them to inform them of the situation but they will not speak to me as I'm not the policyholder.
What on earth do I do.

MrsBertBibby Sat 31-Dec-16 12:30:48

If the loan is in his sole name you don't have to pay it.

Worst case scenario, they sue on the debt, and get a charging order against your property, assuming it is in joint names.

Was it coming out of a joint account? If there is a joint account you need to talk to the bank or he'll just set up more DDs.

MrsBertBibby Sat 31-Dec-16 12:32:44

How do you mean, policyholder? Is it a straight bank loan, or some arrangement with the installer? If the latter it may be different.

Being married does not make you liable for his debts.

Ilovecaindingle Sat 31-Dec-16 12:35:16

Been there. .
This is what I did :
Write to all the companies stating that while the bill was indeed in your sole name there were actually 2 adults living at the address (advise them to check electoral role) and that 2 adults were therefore responsible for the accruing of the bill. Agree to pay off in instalments 50%of the balance and they can chase him for the rest. .
Worked for me with gas /electric /water suppliers.

Mermaidinthesea Sun 01-Jan-17 09:28:36

Thank you Ilove I'll do that, it was a loan taken out in his name for the gas boiler in the house. I can pay all the other bills which are in my name and I'll happily do that in order to get a divorce, but this loan is in his name. I don't see why I should pay it.
I am concerned they can come after the house as it's still in joint names.
He "says" he doesn't want the house and I'm in the process of getting it transferred into my name.
I think what I'll do is write to the company and tell them exactly what is going on and make sure if I need to that some kind of payment is made so I don't lose any of the house.

Collaborate Sun 01-Jan-17 09:42:35

If the loan is in his name you don't need to pay a penny towards it. They can't come and remove the boiler just because the loan is unpaid.

Once the house has been transferred in to your name they can't enforce any court order they get against your ex by getting a charge on the house.

Onemorewonthurt Sun 01-Jan-17 09:55:57

Presumably you're using this boiler?
I worked for a boiler manufacturer a few years ago and came across very similar scenarios, one ended with the boiler being removed from the property by the person paying the bill.
It was a man living in the property with a child and the police said it's a domestic issue they can't be involved particularly as it was 'her boiler'. If I remember rightly the only thing they really did was ask if he has anywhere else to stay with heating and hot water whilst he saves for a new boiler

Moral of the story, rethink the why should I attitude and come up with a better way of dealing with this

However, if this boiler is somewhere else and/or you're not using it, ignore me grin

Collaborate Wed 04-Jan-17 17:43:51

Moral of the story, rethink the why should I attitude and come up with a better way of dealing with this

Totally wrong attitude and approach. Also wrong in law too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now