Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Being charged £1 per parcel

(10 Posts)
user1481883641 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:31:13

Hi i dont know if anyone has ever had this problem but would love some advise on how to deal with this. I currently live in a small community with a cafe and office on site, when parcels and post are delivered they are handed into the office. if they are letters they are placed in the individual post boxes. However if i have a parcel delivered i have to pay £1 per parcel, which i find out of order, due to the fact the parcels just sit in the corner of the office not in the way. They make at least £10 per day becasuse of these charges, is there anything that i can do about this.

JigglyTuff Fri 16-Dec-16 10:35:21

If they're Royal Mail parcels, I think it's against the law for them to do that if you have your own postal address.

Do you live in a caravan park? Do you have your own postal address?

JigglyTuff Fri 16-Dec-16 10:37:03

Royal Mail have an obligation to deliver to your postal address free under the Universal Service - there's a list of delivery exceptions here: www.royalmailgroup.com/about-us/regulation/regulation-framework

user1481883641 Fri 16-Dec-16 10:41:15

Some of the parcels are royal mail, some are things such as amazon, yodel, etc. they have several post boxes on the site, which i pay £60 a year to use mine. then £1 every parcel which is delivered.

cdtaylornats Sat 17-Dec-16 13:58:49

It is the same charge you would have to pay if you had the parcel delivered to your local post office. Presumably the other option is for the office to refuse to hold them.

SantaIsABastard Sat 17-Dec-16 14:11:21

It reads like the office is charging, not Royal Mail?

Kidnapped Sat 17-Dec-16 14:21:24

What kind of community do you live in?

Is it something like a park home?

JigglyTuff Sat 17-Dec-16 14:54:40

What I mean is if the OP has a postal address to deliver to, I think it might be illegal for the office/post office to be withholding her post unless she pays them a fee.

She's already paying them £5 for her post box!

Are they a proper post office? I wonder if you could contact the regulator and see if this is legal?

prh47bridge Sun 18-Dec-16 01:00:30

I don't think the OP is talking about a post office. But, as cdtaylornats said, if you have missed a delivery by Royal Mail and arrange to collect the item from a Post Office there will be a charge for this service. Nothing illegal about it at all. Similarly if you arrange for your mail to be delivered to a mail forwarding service there will be a charge for each item they receive. Nothing illegal about that either. I don't see anything illegal in this charge based on the information posted by the OP.

JigglyTuff Sun 18-Dec-16 01:08:24

There isn't a charge if you collect a parcel from the sorting office!

If the OP has a postal address and her post is being delivered to that address but it's inside 'the office' so she has to pay extra for that, I think it's illegal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now