Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Jury service summons

(15 Posts)
Cheerybigbottom Tue 29-Nov-16 18:57:02

I need some help

I received a jury summons, responded positively that I could attend. Awaited response.

Response came today to say I am not qualified for jury service.

To qualify you have to be :
between 18 and 70 years old
Not suffering from severe mental disorder or lacking capacity
Not be on bail
Not have been to prison (for a certain number of years, I never have at all, my rap sheet is squeaky clean!)
Have been a uk resident for a period of 5 years since the age of 13
Be on electoral register

Now I meet all these conditions so why do I not qualify? I'm not sad over losing the role as it was inconvenient but I'm slightly concerned I've forgotten about a shady past hmm.

Can anyone advise me?

Groovee Tue 29-Nov-16 19:05:25

Have you asked them what their reasoning was? You may have had a similar name and DOB as someone with a conviction?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 29-Nov-16 19:24:50

Any chance you've been missed off the electoral register? Or there's a gap in your NI contributions which might look like you were out of the country?

I'd ask themz

wellcoveredsparerib Tue 29-Nov-16 19:28:33

Could your occupation be exempt?

sonlypuppyfat Tue 29-Nov-16 19:30:21

Jury service is my greatest nightmare, I can't follow a story to save my life

Ilovewillow Tue 29-Nov-16 20:06:33

Could be an exempt occupation or issue with detail in the electoral register. I was exempt for many yrs as I previously worked for the civil service in the county court!

Cheerybigbottom Tue 29-Nov-16 20:49:59

Thank you for your replies!

My profession is not exempt, I'm very concerned I have been mistaken for someone else.

I did have 4 years where I only worked weekends while our kid was little and didn't pay tax or ni as I didn't earn enough. But I claimed child benefit and was registered employed with HRMC if that makes a difference?

Cheerybigbottom Tue 29-Nov-16 20:52:35

Oh and to add I opened the later too late to call them so emailed them. I mean I'm concerned but I'm not desperate for immediate attention, they must be busy.

I'm on the DBS register for my work do I know there's nothing incorrect under my name. Unless it's been in the past 6 months I suppose but I think I might be alerted if there was an addition under my name.

'Tis a conundrum right enough.

Kidnapped Tue 29-Nov-16 20:55:17

Check that you are on the electoral register.

Sounds like that is the only criteria that you might fail on.

I suppose that it is also possible that you made a mistake on your form (easily done).

Cheerybigbottom Tue 29-Nov-16 21:01:43

When I received the summons it said I had been chosen off the electoral register?

I wonder if I have made a mistake somewhere. Maybe I've accidentally made myself 75.

Well. I watched all those law and orders for nothing.

NotDavidTennant Tue 29-Nov-16 21:14:00

They wouldn't have had her details to contact her if she wasn't on the electoral register.

Kidnapped Wed 30-Nov-16 16:23:14

"I watched all those law and orders for nothing".

grin

I suppose you'll just have to wait until they respond to your email. I think it is worth chasing up, there might be some details held about you that aren't correct.

Cheerybigbottom Wed 30-Nov-16 18:06:05

Kidnapped, please award yourself a sticker because you were bang on. I had rather boringly and stupidly ticked the box saying I had not been resident in the U.K for 5 years.
Grovelling apology sent.

I had concocted a story of identity fraud in my head and like most things in life it's got a rather flat ending blush

Kidnapped Wed 30-Nov-16 21:08:41

Ah well. These things happen.

I got selected for jury duty and then the buggers never called me. Some scrote must have pleaded guilty at the last minute and so the jury wasn't needed.

I had prepared a special Juror's Handbag with notepad, pencil and pencil sharpener in it. angry

Groovee Wed 30-Nov-16 21:48:45

Whoops OP. Glad you now know

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now