Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I take knitting needles into a court building?

(24 Posts)
ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 07:02:08

Going to be a witness in magistrates court on Monday and I want a stress relieving activity to pass the time. Knitting would be perfect but will they allow me to bring the needles in? Obviously to the court building, not to the courtroom itself.

Current project is on metal ones which I assume not, but would it be ok if I swapped it to plastic or wood?

It's too late to ask the actual court since I have to be there first thing Monday and they're shut over the weekend.

littletike Sat 12-Nov-16 07:26:19

I don't think you would be allowed to take them in. I recently went for a meeting with someone who works for MoJ and they confiscated my can of coke and I wasn't going anywhere near the court!

ToDuk Sat 12-Nov-16 07:28:24

Contact them directly and ask. I would assume plastic or wood to be ok.

ToDuk Sat 12-Nov-16 07:29:05

Just call them before you arrive.

bruffin Sat 12-Nov-16 07:30:32

Wooden or plastic are still pointed

alwayshappy101 Sat 12-Nov-16 07:31:35

Perhaps just bring some wooden needles and make it known when you go in that you have them.

If you are not allowed them in I guess they will just hold onto them for you until you are done.

Or how about bringing a puzzle book in instead.or alongside your knitting needles,so if you can't knit you will still have something to pass the time.

MrsPnut Sat 12-Nov-16 07:45:53

You can take knitting needles on a flight so I would have thought you could take them into a court building.

Alorsmum Sat 12-Nov-16 08:25:27

I don't think you ll be allowed but the security guard will hold onto them for you. I go to lots of courts and some do more in depth searches than others. Some courts confiscate glass perfume bottles

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 08:28:23

I can't call ahead because I have to be there at 9.30 and they open at 9.30. Also they never answer their phone seemingly and are shut over the weekend. The thought only just occurred early this morning that sharp objects may not be welcome.

I think I will have to take wooden ones and an alternative activity in case they confiscate them. Not sure what alternative activity. I don't want to read a book because I don't think I'll be able to concentrate. I don't really like puzzles. Maybe a sketchbook but the witness room is not exactly bursting with inspiration for drawing and it would be wholly inappropriate to surreptitiously draw other witnesses... maybe an adult colouring book. Urgh.

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 08:29:23

I will tell them I have them, I won't try to smuggle them in grin

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 08:30:34

I assume pens are allowed - which are no less dangerous than a knitting needle in the wrong hands.

KarmaNoMore Sat 12-Nov-16 08:31:35

Get the book, you don't want to add stress to yourself by worrying your needles may be confiscated or put in the bin wink

Ebbenmeowgi Sat 12-Nov-16 08:33:25

I would have thought bamboo ones would be ok, I've taken small ones on flights before. Do you design knitting patterns too? Maybe you could take squared paper to sketch out some designs if they take the needles off you?

SerendipityPhenomenon Sat 12-Nov-16 08:36:50

Do you crochet? They might regard a crochet hook as less dangerous.

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 08:56:06

Yes, I did think that about crochet - maybe I'll do some Xmas decorations. I had been wondering about crocheting a tree topper since seeming a crocheted angel one at Homebase. smile

BubbleGumBubble Sat 12-Nov-16 09:03:05

I assume pens are allowed - which are no less dangerous than a knitting needle in the wrong hands.

There is no comparison at all!!
The damage caused by being stabbed with a knitting needle is much more than a pen.

Just take a book.

Stopyourhavering Sat 12-Nov-16 09:08:21

Not allowed.....( from good authority!) take a book

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 09:16:34

stop - would a crochet hook be allowed? They are not sharp at all?

Floggingmolly Sat 12-Nov-16 09:21:55

Take as many alternatives as you can, don't risk the needles being confiscated and being left with nothing. I sat for 6 hours waiting to be called a couple of months ago sad. I'd have gone round the twist without a book to read.

woodhill Sat 12-Nov-16 09:27:04

I took knitting when on jury service but that was in 1991 so things may have changed.

Stopyourhavering Sat 12-Nov-16 09:35:44

Wouldn't risk it- you have to go through security ( like at airports ) so most likely it will be confiscated

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 10:03:49

I presume that they will hold it for you and return it when you leave though - like at the family court?

I will take lots of alternatives, I have been warned about the potential for long waits...

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 10:06:04

I know about the security stop - I've already been on a visit. Should have Asked then but it didn't occur.

wood perhaps the rules are different for jury since they're not involved, they maybe viewed as less of a risk.

ikeawrappingpaper Sat 12-Nov-16 11:19:35

My mums going to bring scrabble grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now