Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Injury at work - health safety failure- where to start?

(14 Posts)
atetoomanybiscuits Wed 09-Nov-16 22:35:56

Looking for some advice for a friend. They have serious injuries following being pushed to do a physical job which required specialist equipment they didn't have available (think crane, pushed to do by hand). They are now off work having been in hospital for a few days. Weeks of recovery ahead, and may not be physically fit as before. Work have agreed to pay wages despite not having a sick pay policy and been visiting and contacting a lot.
Where would he be best going for advice? And what are the possible timelines and fall outs to consider? The company is very large and work is construction based. This is a breach of health and safety policy based on company guidelines, and he'd like to get legal advice, how do you pick someone?
Thanks in advance!

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Wed 09-Nov-16 22:40:20

Check that none of the insurance policies they hold includes a provision for free legal advice on employment issues

RoastitBubblyJocks Wed 09-Nov-16 22:43:41

Is he/she in a union? If so, they will have a panel of solicitors.

notapizzaeater Wed 09-Nov-16 22:43:47

Check your insurance to see if they've got cover. Check it's been reported - RIDDOR which it should have

atetoomanybiscuits Wed 09-Nov-16 22:44:54

Great idea, I hadn't thought of. I honestly doubt they do though, but checking - they only have car insurance.

elephantoverthehill Wed 09-Nov-16 22:45:31

I am really not sure from your post what the transgression was but I think the first port of call would be to ask the company for the risk assessment associated with the job he was doing.

atetoomanybiscuits Wed 09-Nov-16 22:46:19

Not part of a union, and not sure about RIDDOR - how do we check? Thank you all!

atetoomanybiscuits Wed 09-Nov-16 22:47:43

Elephant - I think they're pushing for him to say things were different than they were. This is why we need legal help before too much is said or pressured

RoastitBubblyJocks Wed 09-Nov-16 22:50:24

Definitely sounds RIDDOR reportable. Have a look on the HSE website at the list of injuries that are RIDDOR reportable, even the length of time off work would make it SO I'm sure.

elephantoverthehill Wed 09-Nov-16 22:54:01

OK Ate I understand.

Balletgirlmum Wed 09-Nov-16 22:54:06

I work for a construction firm. It's definately RIDDOR reportable.

kirinm Wed 09-Nov-16 23:03:41

Is the intention to sue? Approach any firm of personal injury solicitors who deal with employers liability work. I think most still work on conditional fee agreements (No win / no fee).

Where is he / she based?

ThreeLeggedCat Thu 10-Nov-16 20:55:41

Call both HSE and the Local Authority where the premises is. They will determine which one is responsible and should investigate and take enforcement action if necessary.

fakenamefornow Thu 10-Nov-16 21:02:33

You don't need legal cover insurance, just go to a personal injury solicitor. Don't go to one off the telly, they are often just claims management companies. PM me if you want a recommendation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now