Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Executor of will not paid beneficiary

(7 Posts)
purplepingu Tue 08-Nov-16 17:24:17

I know that probate was applied for nearly a year ago but I'm not in contact with the executor and I don't particularly want to have contact with the executor. As a beneficiary I know what I am entitled to as I applied for a copy of the will but haven't heard anything from the executor or the solicitor dealing with probate.

I've sent a letter to the solicitor asking for an update on the progress and have been told that they won't speak to me and my letter has been passed on to the executor.

Does anyone know what I do now before I go down the route of paying for legal advice?

Everything in the estate should have been straight forward and the property involved was sold months ago. The executor knows where I live and has ways to contact me but I've heard nothing from them or the solicitor.

Collaborate Tue 08-Nov-16 22:47:25

You should write to the executor and ask they send you a full account for the estate.

If they fails to send you one you can write again and threaten to apply to the probate registry that they be removed as executor for failing to perform their duty correctly.

purplepingu Wed 09-Nov-16 08:02:35

Thank you for your reply.

That's something I'm looking into already, I'm hoping the solicitor passing my letter across might be enough to spur the executor into action if they have chosen not to fulfil their duty.

Hopefully it's just still in progress and nothing's gone wrong but we'll see.

KnackeredOldWoman Wed 09-Nov-16 09:21:10

Bumping for you pingu, I expect will be in a similar position to you soon. Hope you get what you have been gifted soon.

purplepingu Wed 09-Nov-16 10:58:51

Thank you.

It's hard as I don't want to give too many revealing details but it's a difficult situation. I think I'm just going to have to play the waiting game for now.

A year since probate was granted just seems like a long time especially when the estate should have been simple.

user1471950254 Wed 09-Nov-16 11:07:10

Can you call the solicitor? I've heard of even simple estates taking some time for completion and the solicitor may verbally give you an update

purplepingu Wed 09-Nov-16 12:55:50

I sent a letter asking if they needed any info from me and for an update of the progress but I was told they couldn't tell me anything without the executor's permission and that they've forwarded my letter to them.

I was told by someone else that the solicitor should have got in touch with me but haven't heard a thing which is why I thought I'd make contact with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now