Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Neighbours attaching gates to our wall

(9 Posts)
london333 Sat 05-Nov-16 12:20:33

We're end of terrace. Small garden between us and next door with a fence attached to both houses. Last year neighbours put a gate in the fence and attached it to our house rather than theirs (shed in the way their side). It's been a noisy nuisance - door slamming at all hours when bike owning tenants open and close it - but we decided in the interests of good neighbour relations - to put up with it. However they are now going to build a walk way for upstairs neighbours who apparently have right of way through their garden to their garden at the back.
Are we within our rights to insist that nothing else is attached to our house? And could we (should we!) have legally objected to the gate ?
Any advice welcome. Thank you.

RockinHippy Sat 05-Nov-16 12:27:18

Going by another similar thread on here a few weeks ago & lots of posters working in related fields to property disputes - YES! Your neighbours are cheeky as hell & cannot attach anything to your property without your permission, as it is YOUR wall, you could remove it yourself

viques Sat 05-Nov-16 12:29:37

Yes. You should have objected strongly at the time, not sure what you can do now . I would keep an eye out on the walkway stuff , object if you possibly can but if it went ahead make sure it did not touch your house,cross over the boundary or impede your headroom or access in anyway.

My very unpleasant neighbours put up scaffolding that came on to my property. I told them to move it. Which they did, if they had been nicer people I would have been fine as it was temporary, but for something permanent you need to protect yourself in very strong terms no matter how nice the neighbours are.

friskybivalves Sat 05-Nov-16 12:32:53

Crying out for a diagram...grin

Ifailed Sat 05-Nov-16 12:39:44

Certainly should not allow anyone to attach anything substantial to a wall that was never designed to take a sideways load, could cause huge damage to the property.

Kit30 Sat 05-Nov-16 12:50:20

Get it removed - the longer it's there, the more potential for dispute especially if they and others assert a right of way in future. Check your deeds/ land registry

london333 Sat 05-Nov-16 13:09:46

Many thanks all. We did think they were taking the proverbial. There was already a fence attached to our wall from when we moved in and tbh, we weren't aware that a gate had gone in until going out one day to investigate what the noise was we kept hearing.
Frisky, it's literally two houses with a gap in between them of about 12 foot which had a fence between the end of each house covering the gap. And now a wooden gate in the fence attached to my house! I suspect that the right of way may be the issue for them. Am going to speak to them shortly. We get on fine so I don't want to fall out with them, but do want to persuade them to move the fence to their side and to ensure that nothing else is (ever) attached to our house.

LeninaCrowne Sat 05-Nov-16 13:40:04

Are they trying to shift the 'right if way' to your side of the gap?

Sound like chancers!

london333 Sat 05-Nov-16 14:44:30

Right of way won't bother us as it's through their garden - which is bordered by the side of our house. Just the noise from the opening and closing of the gate which is an intermittent nuisance. We have no windows overlooking them or anything so don't care what they do - as long as it doesn't interfere with us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now