Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Potential will issue?

(3 Posts)
Grobagtom Tue 01-Nov-16 20:22:47

My grandfather (widowed) has decided to change his will following a fall out with my uncle.

GF has decided to leave just £5k each to his son and his daughter with the rest of his large estate being spilt equally between his 4 grandchildren.

He has also specified that the contents of his home are to be distributed by the grandchildren.

The son doesn't know about this but the daughter does and she's quite happy with it as two of her children will inherit as will the two children from the sons marriage.

The will has been redrawn by the solicitor and it's been signed, witnessed and stored away. My grandfather has shown me the will and is absolutely happy with what he has done although I don't think he may have made it obvious to the solicitor that there had been a falling out with the son.

What I have a slight worry over is he's left the executors as his son and daughter as the previous will. Knowing the son, he will go ballistic at the reading of the will - as he is named as an executor, can this cause problems? Can he contest it? Any advice or reassurance would be appreciated. Thanks

MrsBertBibby Wed 02-Nov-16 17:28:30

Being an executor gives him no greater ability to contest than he would have as a disgruntled beneficiary.

If he doesn't want to do the job, someone else can step up.

Marmitelover55 Sun 06-Nov-16 17:52:52

I think he can only contest the will if he is financially dependent on his father which I assume he isn't? Unless he is in Scotland where their are different rules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now