Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Divorce - costs and timeline

(7 Posts)
PandoraMole Mon 31-Oct-16 07:30:39

Just about to send divorce petition off, which I've done myself with advice from solicitor.

Have since discovered I may be able to apply for help with costs. Have put the reference I was given on the form, but don't know if I still need to send the cheque for £550 or not.

We also need to get a consent order in place which I understand happens between nisi and absolute. Can we get started on this now so it's good to go asap?

DD and I are living with my elderly parents atm which is doing none of us any favours and can't afford to move out until the house is sold so really need it all to come together as quickly as possible.

Quick final question - can court fees be paid with a credit card?

Many thanks for any advice.

mumblechum0 Mon 31-Oct-16 09:42:36

You need an Exemption from Fees form. It used to be an EX80 (from memory, I retired from high street practice 5 years ago) but is easily findable on the HM Courts and Tribunals website.

The consent order is one thing you really do need a solicitor's advice on, unless there are absolutely no assets and no liabilities (so no pensions, property, shares, money in the bank etc).

Court fees can't be paid on a credit card.

PandoraMole Mon 31-Oct-16 18:18:51

Thanks for that.

I had a Google and found something that said court fees can be paid by credit card if I go along in person. Hoping not to have to but in order to get things going sooner rather than later it's going to have to be that or Bank of Mum & Dad blush, as the money I've set aside will now have to go to solicitors costs.

Fingers crossed will get some help.

Have bitten the bullet and booked solicitors appointment for Friday to check over petition and discuss Consent order and other stuff.

Cringing at the cost but she's very good and I like her which takes the sting out a bit.

MrsBertBibby Mon 31-Oct-16 21:04:49

Fee exemption is ex160.

Quickest way is to pay the fee, and hope they refund some or all of it when they process the form.

babybarrister Tue 01-Nov-16 19:25:00

it is very much worthwhile getting proper legal advice re the finances - the divorce itself you can do yourself

Namechanger2015 Tue 01-Nov-16 20:56:30

I paid some of my court costs via cheque - just called up the courts and they took my details over the phone. So it's worth calling your allocated court and checking.

Me2017 Wed 02-Nov-16 17:37:55

Make sure the consent order deals with which of you is in charge of selling the house and perhaps hvae a long stop date -if not sold in 3 mnoths then price goes down, if not sold in 5 months goes to auction and makes it clear which of you shows people round, if agent has keys etc as often the resident owner (not you) tries to hold back a sale as that means they will lose where they are living.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now