Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Paying off ex to leave

(6 Posts)
emski1972 Sun 30-Oct-16 14:14:19

Stupidly I did not go through a solicitor I naively thought I could sort it out myself.
My ex wouldn't move out til I had paid him half the equity. I gave it to him 6 weeks ago and he is sleeping on the sofa.
Can I legally change the locks?
He actually said I don't want to waste money on renting.
How can I get him out?

Longdistance Sun 30-Oct-16 14:19:04

Is he your ex h or ex p?

HappyAsASandboy Sun 30-Oct-16 14:21:13

Half the equity of the house?

Who's name is the house in? If there is a mortgage, who's name is that in?

Did you take any legal advice?

mumblechum0 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:32:01

Did you actually get him to sign the Transfer Deed before you handed over the money?

If so, (and if the mortgage lender consented), you can now register the transfer at the Land Registry so that he isn't listed as a joint proprietor, he'll then be a licencee which means that you can throw him out.

If you didn't get him to sign the transfer deed and register the transfer, he is still the legal owner and you can't throw him out.

Please go to see a solicitor urgently either way.

emski1972 Sun 30-Oct-16 20:15:30

Oh no I've done the legal transfer and all the deeds are signed. Went through a solicitor for the remortgage. So I've bought him out as we can to an agreement on the equity 50% less 4 years of mortgage payments... I'm the legal owner of the property now.
He's ex p not husband..

mumblechum0 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:26:31

Oh well, in that case he's currently there on licence. I suggest that you give him 14 days notice to vacate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now