Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Doctored driving licence

(9 Posts)
RolfsBabyGrand Wed 26-Oct-16 23:23:04

My brother in law is from another country. He applied for UK driving licence. He had to send paper document from native country for this to happen. The document states he needs regular eye test to keep licence. He scanned it and deleted the eye test reference. He's got his licence.

I'm pissed off cos he's driving my nephews around and may not be fit to. My sister won't listen thinks I'm over reacting.

If I shopped him, how much trouble would it cause. Would they just amend his licence or is it serious fraud?

eternalopt Thu 27-Oct-16 02:20:20

What makes you think he's not fit to though? Is it just because he quant had his eye test? Given that there's no eye test requirement in this country, everyone else driving here is in the same boat and if he'd got his licence here, he'd be ok. I understand you worry about your nephews, but if your sister isn't worried, if you shopped him surely you'd stop seeing your nephews as your sister would be too pissed off with you to see you again!

pinkmagic1 Thu 27-Oct-16 03:49:14

Is the eye test requirement something his home country requires of all drivers or particularly him as he has eyesight problems?

Bugsylugs Thu 27-Oct-16 04:14:35

There is an eye test requirement for driving here it is self reported as is any medical condition that may affect your driving. When you get your licence that's what you agree to self declaring any medical condition not doing so would invalidate your insurance.

As others have said if you bil has something wrong with his eyes he needs to declare it if he hasn't then yes someone should report it. If it is a normal requirement for that country then that maybe different

tralaaa Thu 27-Oct-16 04:32:15

He has to advise the DVLA of medical condition is his condition notifiable in this country if so he has to advise his insurance company that he has a if the condition if he doesn't and they fine out they can cancel, refuse or void his insurance

RolfsBabyGrand Thu 27-Oct-16 15:32:54

Thanks. I'm not sure what the problem is with his eyes. He jokes he's practically blind in one eye. But does wear contacts.

If I did tell anyone it would be anonymously. I don't want to cause a shit storm for him, just want to ensure he is fit to drive. I lost a close friend in a car accident so it's a sensitive issue for me.

specialsubject Thu 27-Oct-16 16:49:06

It is an issue for all of us. If you don't think he is fit to drive (easy plate read test) then report before he kills or disables someone.

If his wife wants to risk her kids, her choice. Everyone else on the road doesn't get to choose.

chipsandpeas Sat 29-Oct-16 09:46:24

i know someone who was blind in one eye that passed his driving test so its not a barrier to getting a driving licence

HuckfromScandal Sat 29-Oct-16 09:50:36

I'm partially sighted in one eye
Has no impact on my ability to drive.
I don't wear glasses. The other eye fully compensates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now