Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any legal bods around to give me a little advise?

(6 Posts)
PositiveAttitude Sat 22-Oct-16 12:18:13

I have been working 1 day a week for an elderly gentleman for the past year. He is a lovely man and we get on well. He was a very intelligent business man and he asked me to work with him to get everything in order as he knows that he has a degenerative disease that will incapacitate him very soon.
I have been sorting his day to day business dealings and keeping on top of bits and pieces for him over this time and as his health has deteriorated.

There is one thing that he has been getting me to sort for him which is on-going and this is to do with his will. He wants to change a small part of his will so that a certain relative does not inherit any of his money. I had been communicating with his solicitor over the past weeks, but things have not been finalised. Last week when I worked with him he said he wanted to get to finalise it this week. BUT he is now in hospital. I have had a call from the relative saying that he is in and not likely to survive much longer.
I am in no way going to gain anything from his will. I do not have any power of attorney, but the solicitor does know that I work with him and he speaks through me to the gentleman (speaking on the phone with him is very difficult to understand, so I do the talking).

Should I just leave this? Should I contact the solicitor and see if he could visit him in hospital to get this sorted? Should I go and visit the gentleman himself when family are not there to see if he wants me to do anything?
I know this is not my problem, none of my business etc.....but I really do like this man and just want him to get the end result that he wants.

Any advise would be appreciated.

titchy Sat 22-Oct-16 12:35:48

I'd go and see him in hospital and see if he wants to change his will.

traviata Sat 22-Oct-16 12:44:53

IMO solicitors are often willing to visit people in hospital to finalise wills, its not unusual.

MrsBertBibby Sat 22-Oct-16 12:53:53

Phone the solicitor and let them know.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 22-Oct-16 12:58:24

Phone the solicitor in the first instance.

PositiveAttitude Sat 22-Oct-16 12:59:10

Thank you for the replies. I will phone the solicitor on Monday and go and see the gentleman himself, just hope the family wont be around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now