Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Will - deed of Variation

(4 Posts)
SanityAssassin Fri 21-Oct-16 12:16:01

Hi, I am due a large inheritance from my Father who died earlier this year.
My marriage is also a disaster and probably near the end of the road.
Could I get a Deed of Variation on my Dads will to pass my inheritance direct to my children to be held in trust for them til they are 30 (or so) - Ideally the trust would invest it in property for them?

Also I have about £100K sitting around from another inheritance. Is there any way of protecting this from being classed as a Marital Asset? Can I just give it my kids now.

Grateful for any advice Thanks.

MrsBertBibby Fri 21-Oct-16 13:01:48

If your inheritance has been kept separate from other family assets, there's a fair chance it would be ringfenced.

You could vary the will as you suggest but frankly, a court woukd be well aware of what you had done, and not impressed. An inheritance coming in at the end of a marriage is again not likely to be considered part of the pot. Available to meet your needs, but not to inflate his share.

You should take proper advice, though, there could be other factors that would change the position.

SanityAssassin Fri 21-Oct-16 14:14:25

Thank you for your advice. The Inheritance I have is in savings & Premium Bonds in my name. I did spend some of it on a new car for me (in my name) and some white goods. I haven't had my Dads inheritance yet as we need to sell property first. I intended to spend the lot on a rental property (in my name) but was wondering that if my marriage does end how to keep the maximum safe for my children.

prh47bridge Fri 21-Oct-16 18:22:29

Second MrsBertBibby. You need to see a solicitor who can give you proper advice once they fully understand your situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now