Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

DIY divorce.. advice please!

(18 Posts)
Moojay Fri 21-Oct-16 10:54:45

Have sent off three copies of divorce petition as it says online, along with marriage certificate and a quick note saying " I would like to pay over the phone. My number is *******" signed.
This was on the advice of a member of the divorce team I spoke to on the phone when I asked how to pay without a cheque book.I am wondering if this is ok? And when should I expect to hear from them? I sent it recorded signed for.

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 21-Oct-16 11:00:23

That sounds fine and I did the same. Having said that, I managed to miss the call twice - which came the next day at an awkward time when I was busy at work, from a private number and they didn't leave a message. As they couldn't speak to me that day they returned my petition and I sent it in again that time with a great big handful of cash and that worked fine.

Depending on where you are, I'd expect to hear from them very quickly, and try to answer the phone because they didn't give me very long!

Good luck with everything. It can feel really daunting doing it on your own but I found it relatively straight forward and I didn't have MN to help me! Ask questions as you go if there's anything you need.

Moojay Fri 21-Oct-16 11:02:43

Thank you so so much! I just want to move on with my life. Been with same man for 5 yrs, twp kids and refer to him as DH so want to make it official now!
So if I sent them recorded on Wednesday when do you think I will hear from them?
Its the Southampton divorce centre.

AnneLovesGilbert Fri 21-Oct-16 11:30:05

It's lovely to hear your life is going so well smile

I got married again and life is wonderful.

I'd have thought you'd have heard by now, so they might call today. I don't know anything about Southampton but it might be worth phoning the office if you can get through. My one was a nightmare, I never got any sense out of anyone, but could be worth a go. Just so you know you're all paid up and it's making its way through the system.

I did mine myself without a lawyer, it was uncontested, we had no DC and sorted finances/property between us. It took about 4 months start to finish I think, and spanned xmas when things will have slowed down.

Hope yours goes quickly and well and you can fully move on with your life smile

Familylawsolicitor Sat 22-Oct-16 02:53:37

Would expect to hear in a few days possibly on day of receipt by court r couple of days thereafter but yes you must answer phone as they can't leave a message for you to call back!

Familylawsolicitor Sat 22-Oct-16 02:54:46

Or rather, they don't have a direct phone number you can call back on so if you miss call they'll have to send it back though they may try a couple of times to get through

Moojay Sat 22-Oct-16 15:42:10

Thanks, there is no property/financial things at all. All hopefully very straight forward.
I've just had a look at royal mail letter tracker thing, and its not been delivered yet! It is recorded as being posted on 29th, 1st class signed for. Surely it should be there now?
So fingers crossed they get it and ring me on Monday?

Familylawsolicitor Sat 22-Oct-16 16:51:19

They may have a processing backlog

Moojay Sat 22-Oct-16 17:05:19

But surely it would of arrived by now? If posted on Thursday?

Familylawsolicitor Sat 22-Oct-16 21:56:16

Yes but they may not process it when it arrives. It may take a few days. Bury St Edmunds (divorce centre for the south east and London) was taking three weeks to process petitions at one point earlier this year. I think it's about a week now but Bury St E is meant to have the worst backlogs in the country so hopefully Southampton is quicker. They don't work weekends either.

thegoodnameshadgone Sat 22-Oct-16 22:00:54

I'm doing this at the moment, sent firms last week and stbeh had received his copy already - good luck

traviata Sun 23-Oct-16 14:14:56

Recorded sometimes doesn't get there at all. Courts do not have a facility to accept and sign for post. Oddly enough, it is more reliable to send things to court by regular first class mail.

Moojay Mon 24-Oct-16 12:53:48

Ok, so I've rang them, and the arrived on Friday, but were sent back the same day! She said it could be a number of reasons! What a nightmare!

Familylawsolicitor Tue 25-Oct-16 00:18:35

How annoying. It probably is something quite simple if sent back straight away such as omitting an address for service or not enclosing an original certified copy marriage certificate. Post on here if you're not sure what to do when it arrives back.

Moojay Tue 25-Oct-16 08:30:35

Thank you so much familylawsolicitor
Will there be a letter or something explaining why they returned it all?

Familylawsolicitor Wed 26-Oct-16 09:46:46

Yes there will be a letter stating why it is being returned

DinxP Tue 01-Nov-16 09:41:45

I am thinking of doing divorce myself - was going to look it all up today. I will need a solicitor to sort financial side, but can I start the ball rolling on the divorce myself?

Afterthestorm Tue 01-Nov-16 17:22:09

Yes dins, you can do a lot of it yourself. Start reading up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now