Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Barrister in the Family Court

(8 Posts)
mrsdarcey78 Sat 15-Oct-16 00:05:21

Hi I am paying my own legal fees, long story but cant get legal aid. Final court date on the 25th. I have a solicitor and a barrister. On the final court date I have asked for special measures to be put in place including a private room to wait in. Can the barrister go in and speak for me in the actual court room, as shes representing me, as I am feeling very ill over the thought of it, and its causing me, stress anxiety and illness. I have put that in my requests to the court also. does anyone know? Thank you x

mrsdarcey78 Sat 15-Oct-16 00:06:13

I mean to add can I wait in the private room, while she goes in to speak for me on my behalf? x

mumblechum0 Sat 15-Oct-16 00:12:19

I presume that we're talking about a county court? usually there are only a few consultation rooms and the only way to secure one is to get there first thing. Even then, if you vacate it for an hour or so someone will usually nip in. that's because everyone wants to be able to talk to their lawyers in private rather than in the main waiting room where they can be overheard and have glaring matches with their ex.

If you're asking whether your barrister can leave you in the consultation room while he/she goes in to the judge's chambers to represent you, that's not really how it works. You, your solicitor and barrister usually sit together on one half of a long table. Your ex, his sol and barrister sit on the opposite side, and the district judge at the end. You need to be there to listen to what's going on and answer any questions informally, via your lawyers.

The barristers will address the judge on your and your ex's behalf. Usually you don't say anything at a First Appointment, FDA or a directions appointment in Children Act matters. You'd only give evidence and be cross examined further on in the process, probably not until the final hearing.

I'm not sure whether that answers your question? Try not to worry, the district judge's chambers is just an ordinary room. You only go into an actual court room for things like disputed final hearings in Children Act matters.

If you could post a bit more about what type of hearing it is I may be able to be a bit more reassuring smile

mumblechum0 Sat 15-Oct-16 00:12:37

xpposted

Collaborate Sat 15-Oct-16 08:32:23

For the final hearing you will have to go in to the court room if you have to give evidence unless the court has directed that you give evidence via TV. In that case you can be in another room and get to see everything that goes on. Speak to your solicitor about this urgently. A letter from your GP about anxiety may help.

palanca Tue 18-Oct-16 09:01:31

A screen can be put up in the courtroom itself to separate you from the other side

goldierocks Wed 19-Oct-16 08:43:08

Hello OP....my divorce was heard at the family court in London (complicated case).
My solicitor arrived very early and got a private room (in this court you can't book them, they are allocated on the day).
My barrister went into the court, I didn't have to.
Good luck.

palanca Wed 19-Oct-16 09:36:04

It would be very rare for a litigant not to go into court. It would be more common for a screen to be erected - ask your solicitor to request this facility from the court asap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now