Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Financial rights SAHM

(5 Posts)
Hadalifeonce Fri 14-Oct-16 11:33:31

My SIL has a very up and down marriage, husband is very controlling, they constantly argue. They have a 4 year old, now DC has started school she is doing a little freelance work.
SIL and husband are in the process of making their wills, he has informed her that when he dies, she will get nothing. They each owned a property when they got married, then bought a property as their family home; turns out he paid cash and put it into his name.

Does anyone know if he can really leave her with nothing, she will have the property she owns (or does it from part of the 'pot')?

peggyundercrackers Fri 14-Oct-16 12:07:30

it depends where these people live. Scottish rules differ from English rules.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 14-Oct-16 12:10:20

She needs to see a solicitor.

palanca Fri 14-Oct-16 14:15:57

All her H is doing is making money for lawyers as after his death she could have a claim under the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependants Act 1975 if she has not been adequately provided for ....

devil in the detail I am afraid - it is also a very odd thing to do though in any event as there is no inheritance tax between spouses ....

ImperialBlether Fri 14-Oct-16 14:19:02

I believe he can't leave her any worse off than if they were divorced.

I'd go for the early divorce, myself, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now