Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Company policy... For one person?

(6 Posts)
BWatchWatcher Wed 12-Oct-16 20:02:28

Hi all,
So DH has a new job, he is good at and enjoys it.
He presented a case to attend a conference in the US. It was approved and the company said they would pay for it. He was delighted.
Then he got an email from HR. They want him to pay back half the cost of the conference if he leaves within 12 months. He makes uhm noises. They say "we'll talk again before the conference".
I work for the same company and go looking for the company policy regarding payback of course and conference fees. I can't find it. I ask a friend of mine in management where the policy is. She says they got rid of it ages ago. DH asks HR for the company policy. "Oh" they say, "this policy is on an individual basis".
Can they really do that? Can they apply an unpublished policy on an 'individual' basis?
Thanks!

Creampastry Thu 13-Oct-16 07:00:19

No, the policy has to be accessible and applicable to all staff. Is there s training policy which covers it? Is your husband gingvto leave object 12 months?

Creampastry Thu 13-Oct-16 07:00:35

Object? In next 12 months!

BWatchWatcher Thu 13-Oct-16 07:54:17

Thanks!
We want to have the option of moving to Canada. With this policy they would want £5000 back.

HereIAm20 Thu 13-Oct-16 12:14:18

I assume someone has got wind of your wanting the option to go to Canada and mentioned it to the boss.

They are protecting their position £10k on a course and then the employee leaves within a year!

It is possible that other courses are within in the UK and only £1000 or under and hence they no longer implemented the policy. Companies can impose different rules to different things especially if something like this hasn't come up before. It is up to your DH now isn't it? Or was he looking to get them to stump up for a CV enhancer and then leave shortly afterwards?

HeteronormativeHaybales Thu 13-Oct-16 12:20:04

That's one heck of an expensive conference!
Tbh I think it's fair, whether there's a policy or not - particularly because it sounds like this conference was his idea and primarily benefits him (perhaps he also intends to do some networking?).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now