Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

My mothers estate

(6 Posts)
Mrpootle Tue 11-Oct-16 05:58:45

My mum left me half of her house directly in her will as she had fallen out with my step father before her death and worried that he would cut me out of his will completely. She also stated in her will that he could remain in the house until his death rent free. After mums death my step father refused to sign over half the house to me and instead, at my solicitors insistence there is a note against the property lodged with the land registry stating that it cannot be sold without my permission. I am worried that this does not give me adequate protection. Do I own half the house or not ? My solicitor se mis d to skirt around this issue and has not given me a d if it I've response.

Many thanks

Mrpootle Tue 11-Oct-16 06:05:48

Last sentence should read :

"My solicitor seemed to skirt around this issue and has not given me an adequated response"

Apologies. Oh why isn't there an edit function.

Collaborate Tue 11-Oct-16 08:49:59

You seem to be adequately protected.

fluttershyby Tue 11-Oct-16 11:13:52

I guess they put a charge on the property in your name? This means you will get your money before funds will be paid to your stepfather. So you should be fine

scaryteacher Tue 11-Oct-16 16:49:15

Was the tenancy split before she died, so they were tenants in common? Did she own the house outright, or was it jointly?

Mrpootle Tue 11-Oct-16 17:51:42

The house was owned jointly.

If it helps this is an extract from the Land Registry :

"(10.08.2016) RESTRICTION : No disposition of the registered estate by the proprietor of the registered estate is to be registered without a written consent signed by XXXXXXXX (me) of XXXXXXXX (address/email) and care of XXXXXXXX (solicitor) "

Thanks for everyone's time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now