Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Court judgement

(3 Posts)
bargainbetty Mon 26-Sep-16 19:33:37

Please can someone advise. A customer applied to the small claims courts because they felt I should pay back what they'd paid me plus compensation (they weren't happy with a job I'd done for them) I disagreed and wrote to the court. Then I found it too stressful so I made an offer to my ex client and said I'd pay monthly. They accepted. I was about to make my first payment and today I happened to eb looking at my credit report on Experian and it says I have a court judgement against me! This will really badly affect my credit rating. And I'd assumed my ex client had not proceeded with ti going to court and had put a stop on ti once I;d agreed to pay.
Experian says to ask the ex client to write to the court. But what should she says? Can they withdraw a judgement against me?

andintothefire Mon 26-Sep-16 20:00:30

You should apply to set aside the judgment. There is some information here:

You'll need to explain that there was an agreement to settle the debt (with documentary evidence of the agreement if possible). You should also explain why you did not attend the hearing - eg because it was settled, because you didn't receive notice etc. It will be easier if you can get the client's agreement in writing to set aside the judgment.

WeAreEternal Mon 26-Sep-16 20:03:05

If you didn't submit a defence and failed to attend the hearing then yes you will have a county court judgement against you.

As far as I'm aware you now have to arrange payment through the court. The only way to remove the CCJ that I know if is to pay it, so either you pay in full and get rid of the CCJ now or make payments and keep the CCJ until you've paid it off.

I have never heard of a plaintive being able to take back a judgement.

I do know that you can appeal the judgement and you will go to court where a judge will decide if you have a legitimate reason to have the judgement set aside and have the case reheard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now