Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can they put my mortgage interest rate up now I'm married

(9 Posts)
NoFucksImAQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 12:41:44

Took the mortgage out in 2010, Dh is not on the mortgage. We got married last year, I'm going to be overpaying starting from next month and Iv just realised I forgot to tell them I'm married now.
Am I in trouble? Can they put the interest rate up or anything like that

titchy Mon 26-Sep-16 12:45:51

Eh? Of course not!

titchy Mon 26-Sep-16 12:46:45

Or is he going on the mortgage? In which case they might ask you to apply for a new mortgage product.

IhatchedaSnorlax Mon 26-Sep-16 12:50:18

The rate can only change if you change mortgage products.

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 12:50:56

No he's not going on the mortgage, he's self employed which Iv heard is a nightmare with mortgages, plus my hours have changed since I took the mortgage out. I think we'd be worse off if we remortgaged.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but this is my first mortgage and it's a bit of a learning curve for me. I know as a married couple he now has rights to half the house should we ever separate and as such I didn't know if there was more to it than that

DollyBarton Mon 26-Sep-16 12:58:12

No. It's nothing to do with them if you're married or not. They will want to know who is in the house as a full time resident. You may decide also to add him to the mortgage if it works in your favour.

IhatchedaSnorlax Mon 26-Sep-16 13:22:50

Not a stupid question Op - you don't know what you don't know.

Congrats on your marriage! smile

NoFucksImAQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 19:01:54

Thanks Ihatched
Every days a school day once you hit adulthood. The list of things no one thinks to tell you is endless.
Mind you I guess there's only so much your parents can fit it.

"Right guys tonight we're going to discuss puberty and property, tomorrow is motoring and mock exam practice" grin

IhatchedaSnorlax Mon 26-Sep-16 22:48:32

Imagine if they did! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now