Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Car accident advice.

(10 Posts)
Kit2015 Fri 16-Sep-16 21:59:29

Around 2 and a half years ago I was involved in a car accident. Today I have come home and found I have been served with papers.
I was fully comprehensive with my insurance company ( no longer with this company).
From my very limited knowledge this should all be dealt with through my insurance? Am I going to have to go to court? Pay out?
I am freaked. I don't have anywhere near the money they are quoting... I just assumed that because I was insured this should all be dealt with via insurance companies? Any advice would be so welcome!

Collaborate Sat 17-Sep-16 00:36:44

Notify the company you had insurance with at the time. They will handle it for you but you may still have to give evidence in court.

Kit2015 Sat 17-Sep-16 09:33:02

I absolutely don't mind going to court. I am just panicking that my insurance won't cover it. I was fully comprehensive and at the time they were dealing with it. It's just a shock to see this 2 and a half years later.
Thanks for your reply smile

greenfolder Sat 17-Sep-16 18:11:33

It is pretty standard and the timing makes sense. The insurers probably have been aware of the claim all the way along. The solicitors making the claim have to issue proceedings within 3 years so a lot do it at the 2.5 year mark so they don't forget! They will often serve against the driver again to be on the safe side, even if the insurers have told them to serve them or their solicitors.

Kit2015 Sat 17-Sep-16 18:24:49

Okay, I've been fretting about this all day and I can't contact insurance until Monday to actually find out what's going on.
I think he's going to get some sort of payout, but the insurance pays? Not me?
( This is what I am concerned about, I keep looking at assets I'm going to have to sell... I also have an 18month old and we were planning on ttc in another year and that would have to go on hold)
I have anxiety so I am in a bit of a state.

prh47bridge Sun 18-Sep-16 00:15:38

If you were at fault your insurance pays. That's why you have insurance. You will have to pay the excess if you haven't done so already. If your car needed repairs following the accident and this was covered by your insurance you may already have paid the excess.

greenfolder Sun 18-Sep-16 16:04:12

The insurance company pays. Not you. That is what your premium is for.

AuroraEurope Wed 12-Oct-16 17:17:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

prh47bridge Wed 12-Oct-16 20:06:36

This is a UK site. A US attorney will not be able to help.

hippydippybaloney Wed 12-Oct-16 20:11:20

Yes your old insurance company will handle it.

You'll likely have to do a witness statement and give evidence in court if it gets to that point but it usually doesn't, especially if it's the type or injury I think it is given the time since the accident.

Don't worry about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now