Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Minor car accident

(5 Posts)
Anna93 Mon 12-Sep-16 12:10:20

2 months ago I bumped into the back of another car, it was at a give way, he went to pull out then braked sharp for no reason, I went into the back of him going around 2-3mph, he stated he couldn't see and that's why he braked. I took responsibility as I know it's always the car behinds fault but when looking at the cats, the was no damage at all, he tried to tell me a stretch above his number plate was me but it couldn't possible have been because it was tucked away... He said he was worried about his parking sensors so I have him my name and number and asked him to call/text me if there was any damage to them.
I heard nothing from him to assumed all was fine.
Yesterday I received a letter from my insurance saying he put in a claim 5/08/16, I spoke to them today and they've said he had to get a courtesy car and he's claiming for damage. I don't understand how this is possible?!
I've asked them to investigate into this as don't believe this is my fault, any one know if I have any rights on this??
I don't want to lose my ncb sad

greenlolly Mon 12-Sep-16 12:13:37

This happened to me, touched the back of his car at no speed at all. Absolutely no marks whatsoever on either car. He claimed, and got, compensation for whiplash. Bastard.

honeysucklejasmine Mon 12-Sep-16 12:15:36

Yep. Happened to me to. £6k, she claimed. Not a scratch on either car

suitsyousir79 Mon 12-Sep-16 12:20:20

I investigate this kind of thing for a living. Youve told your insurer your concerns so they should investigate it, hopefully including getting statements from you and the other driver. Hopefully they will do this and throw the claim out, but sometimes they pay out as its cheaper/easier than fight it.

Twi things to think about for the future tho, never admit liability for an accident at the scene, and always take a photo of each vehicle if safe to do so, so show damage or lack of damage.

If you want to know anything specific feel free to PM me.

Anna93 Mon 12-Sep-16 14:27:44

Thanks for the replies! Definitely if this ever happens again I'll be more prepared! It's a shame there are people out there who want to scam other people!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now