Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I sell some land without a solicitor?

(4 Posts)
franckiesmum Thu 08-Sep-16 22:34:30

Does anyone know if it is legal/simple to sell some land without using a solicitor? Apart from having to perhaps answer some questions from the purchaser's solicitor and signing the land registry documents, are there any other considerations when deciding whether to appoint a solicitor to handle a land sale?
The land in question has no issues that I'm aware of and I don't want any clauses in the contract to say what can and can't be done with it, neither do I want any future share in it.
Many thanks.

Collaborate Fri 09-Sep-16 08:38:11

You need to make sure you are released from any latent obligations that bind you (for example any indemnities you gave to the previous owner to comply with positive covenants). If you don't know what that means, or how to go about it, get a solicitor to check the transfer deed for you. They don't have to do any more than that. I'm sure they'll charge you, but it will be a lot less than having them act for you fully.

atticusclaw2 Fri 09-Sep-16 08:40:12

Is it mortgaged or part of a larger parcel of land?

franckiesmum Fri 09-Sep-16 18:27:05

It is a separate piece of land and is owned outright. It was previously the garden to the right of the house next door and is an infill plot. The house to the other side built a large extension on the equivalent piece of garden. Thank you Collaborate. I'll ask a solicitor to look over the transfer deed anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now