Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Ex threatening me with court

(8 Posts)
user1469893790 Mon 05-Sep-16 07:53:55

Hi just to give you all some background info my ex left when ds was 3 months old ds is now 12 and he decided to make contact a few months ago. I arranged for ds to meet him as that's what he wanted. He has spoken on the phone a couple of times since and met up once more now ds has decided he has had his questions answered he doesn't want to see him anymore. Now for the last 2 weeks I've been bombarded with abusive messages accusing me of blackmail and stating he has the right to be a father and is threatening me with court action. So what I want to know really is if he does drag this through the courts what rights does he have? Oh forgot to say he's not on birth certificate and we were never married.

MoreCoffeeNow Mon 05-Sep-16 07:55:33

Let him take it to court. At 12 your son is old enough to decide for himself.

Tell him "see you in court" then ignore.

YouMakeMyDreams Mon 05-Sep-16 07:58:37

None of it is about his right to be a father. He wasn't bothered about that 12 years ago. The court will look at what is in the best interests of your child and at 12 his feelings would be taken into account. If your ex wanted to go to court he'd be expected to try mediation first as well.
Tbh from my own experiences and seeing that of others I doubt he will take you to court. If he hadn't bothered until now it's unlikely he will. He's may be just using empty threats as a scare tactic.

GettingScaredNow Mon 05-Sep-16 08:05:47

Your poor DS. And you flowers

What a horrid situation. I totally agree wth pp's though. Let him take you to court. Do u qualify for help with any fees/costs incurred?
As that is the thing that would worry me. His random tantrum causing you financial loss.

Otherwise, I can't see him getting very far in the legal system.

MrsBertBibby Mon 05-Sep-16 08:10:06

Keep the messages as evidence. Consider talking to police about his harassment.

user1469893790 Mon 05-Sep-16 08:51:11

Thanks all no I don't think I qualify for help with legal costs and I have kept messages as evidence I haven't responded to any of them anyway. Also I wasn't sure if it would get to court as I have never stopped access he walked away and didn't contact until now and I agreed for Jim to meet ds as long as I was also present.

Kr1stina Mon 05-Sep-16 09:45:20

That's great if he takes you to court. You can ask for him to pay the past 12 years of child support wink

No court is going to force a 13 years old ( which he will be by then ) to see a sperm donor who has never bothered with his child for his whole life and suddenly wants to see him .

Your son is old enough to make an informed decsion for himself

Berthatydfil Wed 07-Sep-16 19:22:39

I think the only one with rights here is your son.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now