Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

why does my mum have to pay 50% inheritance entitlement out of her share?

(8 Posts)
justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sat 03-Sep-16 11:09:10

Father passed away almost a year ago. No Will so a matter of probate.

Estate accounts arrived today. My mum was told that she is entitled to the first 250k. Half of the remaining amount also goes to her and the second half is split amongst myself and siblings so we get 5% each. This is clearly stated in Estate Accounts so all okay so far.

However when it comes to the statement of distribution for each individual beneficiary we are stumped at my mums. For example:

Total Residuary Estate £100k
Total Inheritance entitlement = 50% £50k
TOTAL PAYMENT DUE £50K

Why is my mum having 50% deducted?!
Please help, we are all so confused and typically the firm dealing with this sent it on Friday meaning we wouldn't receive it until today so my poor mum can't call them until Monday.

Any advice (and simply put if poss) is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

BestZebbie Sat 03-Sep-16 11:12:53

Isn't that that she is owed 50k, as half of the remainder which is 100k?

BestZebbie Sat 03-Sep-16 11:13:18

As in, the payment is due to her, not from her?

TeaStory Sat 03-Sep-16 11:19:18

I don't understand the problem. She gets 50% of what's left ("residuary") after the first £250k - it looks like that is the £100k so she gets half that.

Floggingmolly Sat 03-Sep-16 11:25:47

She's getting 50% of the total residual amount... confused. The other 50% is being split between you and your siblings.

titchy Sat 03-Sep-16 11:29:30

Agree - the statement is saying how the amount above the £250k will be distributed. As your OP said, intestacy rules means your mum gets 50% which is what the accounts say , and the remaining 50% goes to you and your siblings (are there really 10 of you?).

justonesherryformedicinalpurpo Sat 03-Sep-16 11:34:33

Looks like she is getting two separate payments. Sorry she rang me up panicking which made me panic and I couldn't think sensibly!

Thanks for your responses.

Ha ha no there aren't 10 of us. The 100k was just an example as I didn't have the document in front of me to write exact figures.

Thanks again

poisonedbypen Sat 03-Sep-16 11:37:01

The inheritance tax comes out of the estate not anyone's payment, it's been expressed badly, it just so happens that they have taken it off the residual amount, it could have been listed as being taken off first iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now