Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

question about companies house registration

(7 Posts)
SunshineAgain Fri 26-Aug-16 01:56:40

A company has carried out work on the exterior of my property and I am not happy with various aspects of the situation including how they were appointed and the autonomy they were given so I have been looking into them a bit. Their website says they have been established for over 35 years but the companies house records show they have been listed for 3 years plus a few months. Is there a simple, harmless explanation for this?

Thanks for your help, I am quite out of my depth but trying mt best!

TheInimitableMrsFanshawe Fri 26-Aug-16 01:58:04

You can run a business without being a registered company. Lots of businesses aren't companies and never will be.

SunshineAgain Fri 26-Aug-16 02:06:35

Ok, thanks. I thought since there was all the accounts filed information etc that people making a lot of money would have had to do that every year. It's hard to find the right thing online when you're not even sure what to type into google! So thankyou for your time

IceMaiden73 Fri 26-Aug-16 17:28:43

Only limited companies have to be registered with Companies House

They may be running as a sole trader or partnership - which would not show on Companies House

cdtaylornats Sat 27-Aug-16 07:41:36

One thing you could try is to go to their local library and ask to see copies of local newspapers from 5 or 6 years ago and see if they advertised there.

SunshineAgain Sat 27-Aug-16 21:15:56

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering initially if they had been one of these companies that renames themselves and then continues trading to avoid debts and bad reviews but it seems from what you are all saying its possible there's an innocent explanation

Balletgirlmum Sat 27-Aug-16 21:18:17

My dad's company ran as a sole trader even though he employed several people for years before becoming a limited company.

It's VAT registration that depends on your turnover, not being limited.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now