Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can you help me please? I need to find legal help that is free pro bono - am desperate and very scared and ill through this.

(8 Posts)
DesperateAndIncapable Sun 21-Aug-16 14:16:19

Have no money to pay for legal help but need it desperately. My ex husband is in full control of money and we (me and kids) are in poverty. I have now realised this is abusive, just like he was when we were married.

The only way I can change this is by going to court but I can't do that on my own, and I know he would throw thousands at proper lawyers to shut me down (he earns 1/4 million pounds a year, I am on benefits and now having to stay at a friends house).

Do you please know any firm that would help me? Really am just desperate and my MH is very very bad due to stress of everything (worrying about how will feed children, put petrol in car, just everything)

Thank you in advance and sorry for asking.

gamerchick Sun 21-Aug-16 14:22:20

I've never heard of a legal firm that works for free. Does he pay child support? He can fling as much money he wants to wriggle out of that but he still has to pay it.

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 21-Aug-16 14:25:01 is the first organisation that comes to mind. Try also Women's Aid (who aren't lawyers but probably know friendly ones) and Citizens's Advice, some run free legal surgeries.

Don't apologise for asking for help. We all need help sometimes. Best of luck to you.

3littlefrogs Sun 21-Aug-16 14:26:05

Google Women's Aid.

That might be the best place to start.

DesperateAndIncapable Sun 21-Aug-16 14:30:46

Thank you. I didn't think anyone would answer so thank you so much.

I have to do something as cant carry on like this. I fantasize about suicide every minute of every day but could ever do that to my children so am stuck in this hell of a no-mans land, needing justice but unable to access it, is crippling me. Am paralyzed by fear, am just desperate.

babybarrister Sun 21-Aug-16 14:34:43

If there are assets in this country you may be able to access a litigation loan to pay your legal costs.
If you pm me with your approximate location and an idea of the assets in dispute I can recommend someone

Castasunder Mon 22-Aug-16 08:49:30

I know you're posting here for legal and practical advice but please please go over to relationships or parenting for moral support too- you'll really get great help there as well to help you through this

Familylawsolicitor Tue 23-Aug-16 09:16:39

Yes yes to litigation loan
If there is a jointly owned house it allows you to borrow against it without his consent and without paying anything back until settlement
High rate of interest though although the idea is it's a short term loan
Google Novitas litigation loans for info although there are other companies out there
If he earns that much you have at a substantial claim for maintenance at the least, you need a lawyer as he earns over the CMS maximum
Hope you have PM'd baby barrister for names of lawyers who might help, I would also be willing to suggest names in the south east

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now