We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Bankruptcy. Still awaiting payment. Debtor dead.

(5 Posts)
LegalQuestion Fri 19-Aug-16 13:14:27

Can anyone please help?

The trustee is meant to be recovering money I am owed and it has been going on for over two years. This is due to a civil case where I was awarded costs and compensation. They didn't want to pay so gave away their house and never paid anything. They recently died.

It's cost £100k++ to get the house returned to their name - after our solicitor said don't make a charge on it as it will cost £1000 and we'll have to give all our evidence before trial.

The trustee negotiated away all my compensation to try and get the surviving spouse to settle and pay for the house and also allowed them to buy it at a reduced price to get the deal done. Again, that comes out of my money. They also failed to tell me I'd be paying £36k to the government but they won't charge me the disbursement fee. This is £25.

They say a debtor has never died before and they are still waiting for legal advice as to what to do so can't say when I will get any money.

Just snapped at DH. Very stressed and upset. Can anyone give me any advice please!

Somerville Fri 19-Aug-16 14:50:12

Yikes. I have no clue but hopefully someone will do bumping for you.

Sounds very stressful - look after yourself. flowers

greathat Fri 19-Aug-16 17:15:07

Might be worth asking on moneysavingexpert forum

LegalQuestion Fri 19-Aug-16 18:28:53

Thank you. I will.

Sootica Tue 30-Aug-16 20:50:52

You sound like you've had some bad advice
I'd go to a top legal 500 firm and ask them to review matters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now