Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

When is it too late to take out insurance for a legal claim?

(8 Posts)
jammh Thu 18-Aug-16 16:04:00

Live in a building with 2 flats, we share the freehold and have joint buildings insurance. I don't have any contents insurance (stupid I know).

Other owner is doing some structural alterations in their flat and hasn't told insurance co. In any case such work would not be covered. Am not confident in their builder and concerned that things may not be being done properly and that building control approval may not be granted. Work has already started. Is it now too late to take out a contents policy with legal cover in case any legal action becomes necessary regarding this work?

jammh Thu 18-Aug-16 19:13:04

Bump - anyone?

HandbagFan Thu 18-Aug-16 20:06:55

It would depend on the detail of the insurance contract, but generally the event would need to happen after the policy begins - a bit like taking private medical insurance out while having a heart attack, I don't see you'd be covered.

jammh Thu 18-Aug-16 20:22:28

That is what I thought - but I wondered if the event would be the building work, or any legal claim arising from it. I guess I need to check the small print carefully before taking a policy for this reason.

AddToBasket Thu 18-Aug-16 20:25:00

For this you could try no win no fee, but that seems quite a long way off - have you spoken to the council?

WhatTheActualFugg Thu 18-Aug-16 20:33:06

What exactly are you expecting to happen to your contents because of dodgy building work?

If you took out insurance today and tomorrow the entire building suddenly and unexpectedly falls down and crushes your contents (let's hope not) then the event giving rise to the claim (the building collapsing) happened after policy inception. So that's fine.

If the dodgy building work causes a slow leak tonight so tomorrow you take out insurance and come Monday your whole flat is flooded then you're not covered IME.

WhatTheActualFugg Thu 18-Aug-16 20:34:46

Oh, doh. Numpty fugg didn't read OP properly!!!! blush

WhatTheActualFugg Thu 18-Aug-16 20:36:25

I think the same could still apply to legal cover. You've not had a dispute yet or incurred any losses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now