Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Baby crying solicitor threatened

(61 Posts)
Neighbourwoes1 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:13:48

I have a DS 19 months who wakes in the night up to 3 times a week. Each time he crying for 5 mins tops while we do his nappy and get milk etc. Very occasionally he'll cry for longer or will wake more times a week but that's not usual - less than monthly. Many weeks he'll sleep through every night.

A few months ago neighbour came to complain about this. We were flummoxed. We don't leave him to cry and couldn't see what more we could do but anyway started being even quicker to respond to DS.

Neighbour now bangs on wall when DS cries - sometimes before I've even got down stairs so we're talking under 2 mins.

I went round to see neighbour as this is getting bonkers and he went on about how we're totally unreasonable, he's not going to lose years of his life over this, we're entitled and should make sacrifices etc and them said he might instruct a solicitor.

I'm at a loss really. What more can I do? And what would a solicitor do? Can you really take action again someone for a crying baby?

I'm quite good at taking the heat out of debates so we left it with me saying 'we're doing all we can' and him saying 'ok but it can't go on'. He suggested in all seriousness I give DS gin but said 'you don't have to I'm just saying it works'

Any advice apart from ignore it from now on?

OneEpisode Wed 17-Aug-16 20:15:49

You could put in writing your neighbours suggestion that you give ds gin?

PitchFork Wed 17-Aug-16 20:16:13

a solicitor will probably laugh them out the door and charge them£££ for that

Liara Wed 17-Aug-16 20:16:16

Send him a link to detached houses on rightmove.

ivykaty44 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:17:34

Just keep a note of every time he hangs on the wall. Just in the event that he does see a solicitor and you get a letter, you can write back and say he needs to stop knocking on the wall and making a noise in the middle of the night....

Otherwise ignore and continue as you were

QuiteLikely5 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:17:49

A solicitor can't do anything.

Why is your son waking three times for milk and having a nappy change at 19 months??

Unusual imo

OneEpisode Wed 17-Aug-16 20:18:53

If you wanted to, you could look at who sleeps where. So ds is closer to you at night. Further from that neighbours bedroom. 19months .,so in a cot still? Cot bed? Could he still be in your room?
Or do nothing. It's normal family noise.

veryproudvolleyballmum Wed 17-Aug-16 20:20:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BombadierFritz Wed 17-Aug-16 20:22:11

See it the other way. Your neighbour is harassing you - what can you do to stop it? If you own your house you might not want to take formal action eg community police but you could label his behaviour for him as harassment and let him know you are starting a diary of days/times

ethelb Wed 17-Aug-16 20:22:28

I would be telling the community police officer if he continues to harass you.

Your son has every right to be a child. I shudder to think how they would treat a disabled neighbour, for example.

BumpPower Wed 17-Aug-16 20:22:32

quitelikely if Op could answer the why question she wouldn't be posting as she would be in a huge mansion bought on the profits made from her magic baby reading skills. Your question was unhelpful.

ethelb Wed 17-Aug-16 20:23:17

Quitelikely OP said three times a week not a night!

Dontyoulovecalpol Wed 17-Aug-16 20:23:28

Let him instruct a solicitor and waste his money- stupid dick

KondosSecretJunkRoom Wed 17-Aug-16 20:23:49

quite the baby wakes (once?) in the night on three nights per week. I think that's pretty good, it would be an improvement on the 2.5 it's sleep.

RoughMagic Wed 17-Aug-16 20:23:50

It's normal family noise. He may find solicitor willing to take his money and send you a letter but it will mean fuck all and is absolutely not enforceable.

You, on the other hand, could have grounds for complaint if you decide his constant demands to stop the noise and his banging on the walls constitute harassment.

insancerre Wed 17-Aug-16 20:24:22

Is 19 months a typo?
19 weeks I could understand nighttime feeds and nappy changes but 19 months is a bit unusual to be waking that many tines
I don't know what your neighbour is expecting from solicitors letter
You have no reason to worry, there is nothing a solicitor can do

Isittimeforwineyet Wed 17-Aug-16 20:24:34

A solicitor could take his money then provide him with the legally sound advice that he is being completely unreasonable and that any injunction application in this case would be very unlikely to be successful. I second the advice about keeping a log of his bangs on the wall/ceiling and any helpful advice he gives you. What an idiot!

KondosSecretJunkRoom Wed 17-Aug-16 20:24:39

...my 2.5 yo's sleep..

CafeCremeMerci Wed 17-Aug-16 20:30:56

Have a 🍷

He's being a tit, any solicitor would laugh him out of their office.

If he keeps banging on the wall I'd go around and tell him you will be speaking to a solicitor if he keeps it up. A baby crying briefly is unavoidable, an adult thumping on the walls is not.

I'm a very, very light sleeper and generally sleep badly. If I was your next door neighbour your DS would wake me & chances are I wouldn't get back to sleep. However, that would be my issue not yours - it's normal, unavoidable noise, it's not like you're doing something deliberate or even something inconsiderate.

Bagina Wed 17-Aug-16 20:33:18

At 19 months I'd be dropping any milk at night, then he also won't need nappy changes. You need to start ignoring him. Also your neighbour is talking bollocks.

talksensetome Wed 17-Aug-16 20:38:51

My DS is 4 and probably wakes as often as your DS. I don't think it is that unusual. 3 times a WEEK and people think that is excessive?

drinkingtea Wed 17-Aug-16 20:39:30

Why on earth are people dropping the silly claims that waking 3 tkmes per week is unusual for a 19 month old? Utter nonsense! Have a look at the "sleep" section of MN!

Some babies sleep through the night from a few weeks old, some still wake every night at 2 years old - neither are unusual! Some adults still wake and go to the toilet and drink some water a few times a week and then go back to sleep - they don't cry and disturb anyone because they sort themselves is the only difference.

MerlinsScarf Wed 17-Aug-16 20:41:46

There's a gov.uk pdf on noise nuisance which sets out that babies crying, phones ringing and suchlike are classed as normal noise and shouldn't be treated as noise nuisance. I can't get the link to work as I'm on my phone but please have a google, it's got exactly the info you need.

SharonfromEON Wed 17-Aug-16 20:42:09

I would not be running to a baby the second they start whinging..

My DS did not sleep through till he was 4 so 3 times a week at 19 months sounds a dream..

I agree tell him his banging on the wall is not normal family noise a baby crying is..

Neighbourwoes1 Wed 17-Aug-16 20:42:15

Quitelikely it's 3 times a week not a night smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now